outboard choices

I have an old Honda 2HP four-stroke that's just about had the biscuit.

Looking around, I see that there are various motors available of about the same size. I think I probably want to go with a used motor, but I was intrigued with an ad on TradeMe for the EARROW. https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/parts-accessories/outboards/listing-2409011944.htm?rsqid=15538f2dcb3444498ac28fac406a19f9-002

Has anyone had any experience with it?

I have had a very good run with a Suzuki DF2.5 4 stroke, not much more new than the Chinese Yamaha rip off 

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/parts-accessories/outboards/listing-2407454148.htm?rsqid=b6be4af0e46e4bbbb9e5ae8a0ee75b49-003

the only thing to watch on all of these little motors where water cooled, irrespective of brand, is that the cooling passages are very small and are easily blocked if not flushed regularly

Difference in price is noticeable. Good point about the cooling system.

I have had a very good run with a Suzuki DF2.5 4 stroke, not much more new than the Chinese Yamaha rip off 

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/parts-accessories/outboards/listing-2407454148.htm?rsqid=b6be4af0e46e4bbbb9e5ae8a0ee75b49-003

the only thing to watch on all of these little motors where water cooled, irrespective of brand, is that the cooling passages are very small and are easily blocked if not flushed regularly

2 stroke is the lightest in weight if that is an issue.
2 stroke produces more power for weight.

2 stroke produces no more Greenhouse gasses than 4stroke. Remember that Co2 is the green house gas, not the oil in the exhaust. That is a different pollution issue

Electric, unless you have a specific task.... like silent trolling.... waste of time and money as an outboard.

4 stroke is quieter and smoother running. But all the opposite to the 2 stroke savings.

The Chinese outboards are mostly of two types. A copy of an old generation "name brand" outboard, or a cheap re hash of a cheap 2 stoke air cooled engine (weed eater engines are common) with a plastic outboard looking cowling around them.
Some have proven reliable and others have not. Like all Chinese, it seems to be a lottery as to which one you get.

Personally I would not go for a Cheap Chinese. I bought a little Merc 2Hp for $350. It starts first pull an runs sweet. You don't have to pay a heap for a decent second hand. Go see an outboard guy and see what they have for sale.

• Upvote 2

" You don't have to pay a heap for a decent second hand. Go see an outboard guy and see what they have for sale."

Thanks. Good advice. I've been looking online at the various motor brokers, but none list used motor stock. Unless I see a bargain on TM, it'll have to wait until I get to Auckland in a few weeks.  Any of the major brands would probably do and there have been a couple of votes for the Suzuki. 

I do not think weight is a big deal in this power range, a the Suzuki DF2.5 is 12.5kgs, a Yamaha 2hp 2 stroke is 9.8 kg.

Much bigger difference once you get up to the 9.9hp models.

The main things I like about the 4 stroke is not having to mess around with pre-mix and not leaving an oily trail.That being said if I want to go fast/some distance I will swap over to the old 2 stroke oil injected 9.9 Suzuki  :razz:  The down side of the single cylinder 4 strokes is they need a bit of grunt to start, to overcome the compression. My wife cannot start the 2.5 Suzuki because of this.

Depends on if you have to carry it up a steep hill or not ;-)
Yep certainly not having to mix the oil is a plus, but it was never much of a hassle either. I used a Synthetic oil and that meant I could use less oil, which made a massive difference to the starting and running and most importantly, no smoke, nor oil on the water.

litle honda 2.3 are great air cooled motors,bit on the heavy side if carrying a distance but never had a starting issue,the thing to watch out for is water getting up in the housing,the centrifugal clutch doesnt like it.

Weight isn't a great issue; only comes into play getting it off the stern rail and onto the dinghy. But I don't much like mixing the oil and gas, which is why I want a 4-stroke. The current 4-stroke Honda seems to start pretty easily but I don't think my wife has ever tried it so I dunno if she could. But then that might apply to a 2-stroke as well ... she's a smallish person. 

But thanks to all. Some good thoughts and advice.

Suzuki DF2.5 portable outboard is the lightest Suzuki 4-stroke on the market!

WAS $1,299

Would seem more meaningful if it were the lightest 4 stroke on the market. Be surprising if it weren't lighter than other Suzuki 4 strokes given it's the smallest they sell...

• Upvote 2