Milford Marina - draft

Hi guys

Long time no see. I've had four children since I last posted properly and now they are now all sailing opti's! So a lot of time has gone by.  

After 10+ years of being boatless, I am lucky enough to be helping look after my father's Logan 33 which we have recently moved to Milford Marina.

It draws just over 60cm - it's a gorgeous boat and we want to get out and use it more.

I am trying to get a handle on the tides and depths at the entrance.

Is there any simple answer as to the time either side of high tide we are going to be okay to get in and out? 

Or am I going to have to get my calculator out....  which has all sorts of possibilities for ways to go wrong. 

Advice appreciated! 

Zoe 

Hi zoe, good to see you are still alive. If you learn the rule of twelfths you can do it in your head using a tide table

The rule of 12ths is the best tide aid I know of. Works everywhere, even when there are no tables. And accurate enough for practical use. I really cant understand why no-one teaches this on any of the courses I've done. (NZCG, RYA, etc)

Thanks everyone, the 'any time above high tide' sounds like a good rule of thumb to me and my mathematically incapable brain.

Wal, we have a TV and numerous iPads to keep them busy but weird thing is they want to be outside! 

Thanks everyone, the 'any time above high tide' sounds like a good rule of thumb to me and my mathematically incapable brain.

Wal, we have a TV and numerous iPads to keep them busy but weird thing is they want to be outside!

I don’t think that’s what he meant, Zoe! ????

• Upvote 2

Be Aware that the prevailing breeze at the entrance has a big bearing on Milford, half tide is not right as the sill moves depending on height not time. Quite often the sill will still be up then.

If you damage the sill the Mariners will send you the bill.

Please go for a good walk with the kids at dead low one day and you will be then armed with the knowledge. 

• Upvote 1