Pulse refit

Tim C

I've been a bit quiet here lately, mainly because I've had a big winter doing a refit on my boat Pulse. New bows, a wing out the back for the solar panel and dinghy davits, a few other improvements inside and out, and a complete repaint inside and out, top to bottom. What a lot of work!!

Thanks to Lees Boat builders for the spray painting, and Signs at Work for the graphics.

Finally the mast is back up and had a nice sail in the weekend. Great to get that wonderful feeling of power and speed on the water again, hooning across Kawau Bay again after months on the land...

P7180014.jpg

Can you describe that steering system?

The steering starts with a central whip staff in the cockpit. Typically I have a tiller extension off that, so I can sit down to sail. Effectively it feels like a normal tiller, except the rotation is in the horizontal plane.

Under the bridge deck on the whip staff is a small quadrant, which has a spectra line going out to either hull, turns on a block, goes to the transom, turns again to attach to a quadrant on the rudder.

Originally there was another outboard rope line, this eliminated any link bar and so made access across the transom easy. But there was too much friction in the system.

So now the link bar aft connects the two rudder stocks. It means there is no bar to step over getting down the transom, but on a marina one has to duck under it, and come under it in a marina.

What's the point of the system? It means the crew weight is central, (reducing pitching) and close to the mast and engine controls. It eliminates traditional 'cockpits' so I can have nice aft cabins. Single handed is easy because everything is at hand, and crewed the foredeck crew are still close. It all works well

Pulse steering.jpg

Looks great Tim. Why the change in bows? Do you have any pics of what they looked like before?

A shot of the boat originally from the start of last years race. Thanks Zoe!)

I just wanted to update the look. The honest chances of a noticing a performance change are low. They are even a finer radius than before, and she is still a dry boat. I did cut notches in the bows at the spray rail height to stop that finger of water coming up, which has worked well. You can just see it in the other photo. (If I can load them..)

New bows.jpg

I remember going aboard once and being impressed with the back windows.

I can't find a picture from looking out the back. It is nice waking up to having the water just there, and good ventilation. And great at anchor, to be able to check aft by just lifting your head off the pillow...

Archived