L00seM00se

Diagnosing fuel pump problem

Sorry for the late reply guys, in Hawaii at the moment. Jim, I’ve taken the carb drain out and priming results in not much fuel coming through, nowhere near what’s squirting through the hoses when priming. The bulb is tight when priming, I’ve just replaced the tank, hose (with new primer) and put an in-line filter in the hose.

Every time I’ve had that problem it’s been old gas and blocked needle valve.

Sorry, reread post #1, only if float chambers full but dies as soon as you try to excelerate..

Which I’ve had multiple times.

ok gas is arriving at the carb no problem but doesn't get to the float bowl - as IT suggests the issue is related to the float valve... has it run nicely at all since the recent overhaul - if not it might be an assembly issue (i've seen floats installed upside down and the carb apparently went together no problem but the float valve was jammed). let us know what you find. 

So I did some fiddling today. Took the bowl off the carb and confirmed that plenty of fuel is squeezing through. Put it back on and now when I prime with the bowl drain open I get a steady flow of fuel. I had given the inlet valve another spray of carb cleaner so maybe something was blocking.

So now I’ve been playing around with it this afternoon, sequence to get it running is:

1. One pull on full choke

2. Two pulls on half choke and it starts. It’s idling high, adjusting the idle screw lower results in it stopping. Pushing the choke in slowly results in it stopping as well.

I’ve played around with both the idle screw and the high speed screw but I’m not 100% sure on what the settings for the screws should be, or even a rough starting point to allow me to tune it. Could it still be a float issue? Is there a method to test if it’s an air leak?

Well I’ve been running it all morning in the drum and it seems to be running pretty well. Even idling in gear which it never used to do properly.

Next step is to give it a good run around the harbour.

I guess the morale of the story is, keep cleaning the carb.

Thanks for the help guys.