Hijinx.

Is there a question there?

Was built (or finished from hull/decks?) by David Wade in sandspit. Saw him on it last summer at barrier and had a chat with him about it. Was for sale complete for quite a long time at a fairly high price.

Not sure why it has no rig in the photos - whether he's removed it for his new boat or there's another story.

Cool boat, but Dave may have his work cut out for him trying to sell for $150k in bits and needing (re)finishing.

Whoops pre Xmas idiocy has turned me into one.

Raz it is a interesting situation where a owner cannibalises a low hour build to use the bits I presume like rig sails engine hardware etc to devote to another new build.

The guy must have done the sums but the other Blakewell listed is not that far north of that asking price and it’s ready to rock & roll.

https://www.tradeaboat.co.nz/detail/bakewellwhite-38-751106

Whoops pre Xmas idiocy has turned me into one.

Raz it is a interesting situation where a owner cannibalises a low hour build to use the bits I presume like rig sails engine hardware etc to devote to another new build.

The guy must have done the sums but the other Blakewell listed is not that far north of that asking price and it’s ready to rock & roll.

https://www.tradeaboat.co.nz/detail/bakewellwhite-38-751106

This one has the hinge for lowering the mast to get under bridges. Very useful feature for Perth.

Must be a intelligence test that I have failed miserably, how does that work.

Great boat though a tiller instead of that wheel of fortune would be my pick.

attachicon.gif A6063F2C-49A8-46B0-944B-B8A8B1D24BCF.png

Attach two spinnaker poles to strong points out wide, poles attach to a large ring and a 4:1 (or greater) pulley system which runs aft to a winch.

Use some halyards to take the pressure off the forestay, move forestay to the large ring. Undo the bolts at the front of the hinge and start to lower the mast.

Apply some pressure on the backstay to get the mast moving aft, then let gravity do the rest. Rate of descent is controlled by the winch.

For a higher degree of difficulty all of this is done while motoring on a river shared by large power boats which don't follow the No Wake rules!

That's pretty cool rushman!

I think the z39 is a newer design and hijinx is only a couple of years old so maybe not a fair comparison with the other one? Still going to be hard to find someone who wants to pay $150k for a project.

Compared to something like a 2 year old 40 foot j boat I suppose it seems a great deal. But compared to most racer/cruisers for sale here that are a bit older, it's hard to imagine paying 150k for it. Pretty boy Floyd was for sale recently for around 100k. Not sure what sort of interior it had, but probably quicker than a z39 and was complete and ready to go. If I were buying I know what I'd choose.

Luckily most yachts sail on the river OR offshore, although some may move between locations for a series but will be berthed at the host club for the duration. Lowering the mast is usually only done once on any given day,

The Farr was based at Fremantle for the winter series, the Cole was heading to Rottnest Island for a couple of weeks cruising.

Dont understand the thinking here.

Take all of the good bits of the boat and then try and sell it while keeping all to good bits to use on the new build.

Why would you not sell the boat complete which is far more attractive to any potential buyer and get more up to date good bits for the new build.

I think this boats gonna be on the market a long time with that sort of ask and oh by the way you have to buy a new rig etc.

Luckily most yachts sail on the river OR offshore, although some may move between locations for a series but will be berthed at the host club for the duration. Lowering the mast is usually only done once on any given day,

The Farr was based at Fremantle for the winter series, the Cole was heading to Rottnest Island for a couple of weeks cruising.

I remember sailing on a Cole 40(aluminium) out of SoPYC, even with the same system dropping her mast was interesting.

I heard Tasker's Siska IV, the 70 something footer that won the Parmelia race also had a drop mast, lowering that would have been an event!