sea fleas

Has anyone else encountered the mutant Tamaki River "sea fleas" that live in the growth on the bottom of your hull?

While at anchor I cleaned the area around a transducer and the little bast**ds bit me. I didn't feel it at the time but they itch like nothing else for days.

Much smaller than sea lice, more like the size of a flea.

Note to self to use a rash shirt or wet suit probably better.

Those "life of the party" types that study these things reckon it isn't the Sea Lice that cause the problem. They reckon the lice don't bite us. Although I personally disagree. Instead, they reckon it is the venom from tiny baby jellyfish that cause the problem. However, I know that those lice do indeed bite and have one heck of a decent nip that makes you move quick. As soon as you stop, they start nipping.

They are not limited to the Tamaki, anytime i've cleaned that slime my wetsuit is always covered in the critters, to me they look a like a miniature shrimp.  The really nasty Sea Lice always seemed to live at the warm waters edge, a zone to be avoided as kids. Infestations of Microscopic NoSeeUm Jelly Fish are a problem sometimes, if you get hit by those you are in for an uncomfortable few days, Antihistamine helps.