Blustery SW wind pattern

I was told there is no Spark cell site on the island so no reception anywhere in Fitzroy. Phones start to work out of Man of War Passage.

The other problem for me was channel 19 and 20 were very scratchy and difficult to understand, so no long term 'look ahead'.

I was told there is no Spark cell site on the island so no reception anywhere in Fitzroy. Phones start to work out of Man of War Passage.

The other problem for me was channel 19 and 20 were very scratchy and difficult to understand, so no long term 'look ahead'.

Yep we could only get channel 19/20 to work outside man o war passage.

I was told there is a Telecom cell tower elsewhere on the island but it doesn't cover Fitzroy. Didn't go elsewhere to confirm.

Hi, there is a weather/boatie vhf channel that is Gt Barrier specific - I can't remember what the channel is but it's a very low number on the dial. It only operates a cuppla times a day for a short period each time. So you need to set your (vodafone powered) phone alarm to those times. It's a volunteer site.

Ask a Barrier local - or 1 of the CREW.ORG members will know more? 

The channel is a pay site (I think that's still the case?) - you're supposed to contribute an amount to Barrier Radio when you use the service. Voluntary - but you should (in my opinion) do it.

Re Vodafone - I'm telecom, I bought a $20 SIM card from vodafone before I went to Barrier last time. Told the important people in my life what the new number was so that they could call that when the telecom number didn't work.

Pretty simple - just gotta remember to buy it before leaving the home dock................ :roll:

Be safe out there.............

Spark does / did? have a cell tower on Kaikoura island, "but" it needs Diesel to run it, in previous years they have filled the fuel tank and ran it from Xmas until the tank runs dry. Not to be used again until the following Xmas. They have good reception down in Tryphena, just not in Fitzroy.

Spark does / did? have a cell tower on Kaikoura island, "but" it needs Diesel to run it, in previous years they have filled the fuel tank and ran it from Xmas until the tank runs dry. Not to be used again until the following Xmas. They have good reception down in Tryphena, just not in Fitzroy.

we were around Fitzroy from 21 Dec to 1 jan. We had no spark reception during this time. Might be a thing of the past? Or someone couldn't be bothered filling the diesel thank?

Yep, very weird - the street lights came on in Omaha at 5pm tonight! yellow red haze everywhere up here.

Still, at least we know what it is! Woulda been scary to see it 200 years ago.............

eerie..........

Left for North on Boxing day and nothing but glam weather in the Bay till I had to come home saturday -definitely less wind than you have had down here.

Now got to contemplate bringing her home next weekend (with broken ribs).

Left for North on Boxing day and nothing but glam weather in the Bay till I had to come home saturday -definitely less wind than you have had down here.

Now got to contemplate bringing her home next weekend (with broken ribs).

You get into another bar fight?

Which is why I installed a vodafone rural network booster / WiFi on Aleana to get data at Barrier and other patchy favourite spots like BOI.

Aleana - would you have a link to the booster you purchased, and let me know what you think of the performance please? It sounds like just the thing I need.

Thanks

Rangi