Speed cameras and fines in marinas...

When we used to be in Havelock Marina, I would often witness numpties breaking the law. We aren't talking "just a little fast" either. They would be power boats, often in the worst of attitude, that of being almost on the plane but not quite, going right through the marina creating the largest wake possible by them. Plus, often Power boats up on the Plane while in the very narrow channel in and out of Havelock.
However, I can only imagine that it has now gone to far the other way, being that it is likely too stringent.

Cant get Westhaven interested even when I send them pictures.  And it is not just power boats, there are plenty of yachts who seem to think that 5 knots does not matter to them.  I get to see plenty as we are right a the end of a pier.

In anchorages I often find passing boats slow down very quickly when I stand up with my phone and start to video them including getting the boat name. And even if you’re not actually videoing the act of looking like you are often has the desired effect - all without a word being spoken.

Just last week I sailed silently and carefully through Pipi/ Norwegian Bay in the BOI and a little chap came running to the bow of his anchored overgrown Riv type boat yelling that I cant do that as I went by ! Highly amusing -guessing that he was the decky/ skipper if so I would like to know where he got his ticket

Now that I can, I love sailing on and off the anchor. The looks on some yachties faces is fun, especially the ones who only seem to sail once a year.

Speaking of anchors, mine got wedged in rocks close to the ramp at Izzy Bay the other day.  I eventually got it free but not without a worry. Does anyone know how far the rocks go out from the ramp?

Infringement notices are sent to boat owners by the council for breaking local bylaws.

​I can see how they could sent a notice to the owner of a vessel that has a marina or mooring as they have a record of whose who.But come to trailer vessels who/how do they send a notice too??sure might have a boat name but there is no register or compulsory to register a vessel,law only states must display a name,maybe need a law change to display trailer registration.

Only vessel that needs to on a register is a jet ski.

Infringement notices are sent to boat owners by the council for breaking local bylaw

​I can see how they could sent a notice to the owner of a vessel that has a marina or mooring as they have a record of whose who.But come to trailer vessels who/how do they send a notice too??sure might have a boat name but there is no register or compulsory to register a vessel,law only states must display a name,maybe need a law change to display trailer registration.

Only vessel that needs to on a register is a jet ski.

not the case in Canterbury under Regional Council bylaws - all craft must have some identifying number at least 90mm high marked on the vessel...most often use their trailer number if trailer or their sailboat registration number

Same in Auckland. Regional bylaw...

only jet skis need to be registered IT,the other requirement is all vessels over 5 metres must have a name in 90mm high letters but there is no register for any other vessel.

There should be compulsory registration for all vessels,example white sea nynph called happy days how many have you seen?? there are 3 within walking distance from home so I think trailer vessels need to display trailer name. But where does it end.registration operators ticket fishing licence boat wof?? I can people screaming your taking my rights etc.Life jackets under 7m??compulsory worn but skippers discretion whether you have to put on due to flat water etc.

If you own a jetski or personal watercraft (PWC) in the Auckland, Bay of Plenty and Northland regions, it must be registered with AT's Harbourmaster. Boat registration is not required in Auckland.

https://at.govt.nz/boating-marine/jetskis-personal-watercraft/

• Upvote 1

Auckland bylaw.

Vessels to be identified

(1) A person must not use a vessel on navigable waters unless it displays a name, consisting of

letters the Roman alphabet or numbers that are not the vessel’s brand, make or model, and

that is distinct to that vessel.

(2) Subject to clause (3), this clause does not apply to:

(a) non-mechanically powered vessels of less than six metres in length; and

(B) power driven vessels of less than four metres in length.

(3) Non-mechanically powered vessels and power driven vessels referred to in subclause (2) must

be marked with the current owner’s name and contact details somewhere on the vessel.

(4) The name, identification mark or number referred to in subclauses (1) must be displayed above

the waterline on each side of the vessel by the person in charge of the vessel. The minimum

height of the name, identifying mark or identification number is 90 millimetres and it must be

legible by day from a distance of at least 50 metres.