Fijian mahogany

Guest 000

Unfortunately I have exhausted my stocks of second hand mahogany op-shop bed heads that I use for various little projects.

I see on TradeMe some timber called Fijian Mahogany. Has anybody used it? Is it any good? Does it look like real mahogany. Is it in fact real mahogany?

Thank you, and that's interesting. The fijian mahogany is advertised as a species originating from South America. Will check it out when in Auckland next week - and also the op-shops for old bedheads.

Thank you, and that's interesting. The fijian mahogany is advertised as a species originating from South America. Will check it out when in Auckland next week - and also the op-shops for old bedheads.

Thanks harrytom. Will check them out. Recently I have acquired a very beaten up little mahogany table that will provide an amount of usable timber. Whangamata never fails to amaze with what comes to light out of people's garages, sheds, stowed up in the rafters etc when you put the word out about what you want.

I was going to suggest tables after the bed heads had run out :-)  after that get into the mid century Danske Mobler chairs.

Wasn't it Nathanael Hereshoff who cynically said that Mahogany was anything red  called Mahogany ?

They are still harvesting Central American Mahogany it needs to seasoning  though :-) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aReJkSwqd6Q