Volvo siezed?

Lots like the 18 hp diesel in the cat I have bought is locked up. Can’t budge it with the crank handle. It’s been sitting on the hard for about 2 years so I guess that’s why. Am fitting an outboard to get going from Whangarei to Auckland but wondering if its worth trying to revive. I am thinking two outboard s in decent bracket s may be better. Is head off and crc in the pistons the first thing to try?

What’s the oil look like? Is it a sail drive? Seized gear box? If you can, and there is no apparent water in oil, take off the GBox, turn that. Otherwise yep, penertrating oil, leave overnight, then try again. If it’s really bad, head off, load crank bolt, smack a piston with a piece of timber and a mallet. It’s surprising what can be revived sometimes....

• Upvote 2

IT is correct, but only if the "repair" is considered an emergency repair. You will likely find the Engine will smoke badly and use lots of oil.
The surface of the Bore could well be seriously marked. You will not know unless the Head comes off and Piston removed to inspect.
What could likely have happened is that water/condensation has gone into a Cylinder. It takes very little to do damage. The Piston, Rings and Cylinder wall all have a go at a 3 way marriage and we all know that 3 in a marriage never work out well. The Wall will need to be honed and if badly pitted, it may need to be bored. However, if water has done such damage, then there is a good chance the Valves will also be corroded and pitted etc. So in the end, you are likely looking at a major rebuild.

Its a sail drive and that turns in neutral. Engine oil is clean looks like it was changed recently. Fuel tank was full of muck in the bottom. Would you try oil through the injectors first. The stop cock to the cooling water from tha sail drive is siezed shut.

It’s well worth spending the time to get it loose. There’s plenty of motors that have continued to run for years after being corrosion seized. Yes it might never be quite the same, but given how much you will actually use it, does it really matter if it smokes a little? I remember my dad spraying crc in a engine for what seemed like month to free it before it finally worked, we sailed around in it for years later as kids.

I know how much better Automatic Transmission Fluid mixed with crc works on bolts, if you know what your cylinders are made of, this might be an better option.

Just plain ole Diesel. Does the same job as any of the penetrating oils, or you can use CRC or WD40 or whatever. they are all light weight and will burn away quickly when you finally fire it up.
Don't use engine oil.
Good luck.

• Upvote 1

When our first yacht sank,sink fitting corrosion,sat under water for 2 days,pulled motor out and filled with diesel.Left for about a week,drain,changed oil,checked fuel coming out of injectors,reinstalled and it ran fine.Having said that .Vessel was on sold by insurance co ,so not sure how long engine continued to run.