mcp

Shore power

Any thing wrong with what Burnsco sell for about $400, already made up(10-20m lead,tripbreaker,the box,3pin socket,reyrolle plug) Just need inspector to tick it off.

No, you only need a ground plate on a commercial vessel, most installs get away with a grounded engine....

Sorry for asking again but I am confused by the definition of grounded. Does grounded mean connected to the water, or is it considered grounded if it is connected to the dc negative?

My engine is only going to be grounded to the water via the small amount of water left in impeller housing. Would that be considered "grounded"?

With the option of solar instead of an unattended AC connection  and required ewof 

and the various interpretations of the standard for the ewof, its a no brainer.

Also then I can have no AC earth to DC ground or water and use my isolating transformer

for attended charging.

No, you only need a ground plate on a commercial vessel, most installs get away with a grounded engine....

IT, respectfully wish to differ on this point - all craft require a submerged ground plate to satisfy Equipotential Bonding requirements, ref AS/NZS 3004.2 2008

10.1.2 Earthing of the protective conductor in non-metal boats
The protective conductor shall be connected to an earthing electrode that comprises a solid
uncoated conductor having a contact area with the water of at least 0.1 m2, a thickness of at
least 5 mm and a width of at least 20 mm secured to the outside of the hull in an area
reserved for this purpose and located below the light-load water line so that it is immersed
under all conditions of heel.
NOTE: For metallic boats, and particularly those of aluminium alloy, control systems of internal
combustion engines should be insulated from engine earth.

I have one of those porous bronze plates and it has been pointed out to me that these are not ideal, the correct plate should be solid copper.

IT, respectfully wish to differ on this point - all craft require a submerged ground plate to satisfy Equipotential Bonding requirements, ref AS/NZS 3004.2 2008

10.1.2 Earthing of the protective conductor in non-metal boats
The protective conductor shall be connected to an earthing electrode that comprises a solid
uncoated conductor having a contact area with the water of at least 0.1 m2, a thickness of at
least 5 mm and a width of at least 20 mm secured to the outside of the hull in an area
reserved for this purpose and located below the light-load water line so that it is immersed
under all conditions of heel.
NOTE: For metallic boats, and particularly those of aluminium alloy, control systems of internal
combustion engines should be insulated from engine earth.

I have one of those porous bronze plates and it has been pointed out to me that these are not ideal, the correct plate should be solid copper.

Agreed, but most EWOF inspectors will pass them without a ground plate. Maritime NZ inspectors wont....

Does AS/NZS 3004.2 2008 make provision for where the AC live and neutral has no polarity relative to ocean?

ie isolated.

Not sure if it is exactly what you are asking, the code does permit Non Neutral Earthed Systems (IT System) under certain circumstances when continuity of service is required. It has strict requirements for fault protection and "touch" voltage.

Not likely to be a typical situation for our size of boats