Sign in to follow this  
Romany

clever clogs required

We'll be back pn board in just over a week. Sounds like I'll need to run the watermaker.

You've got enough fishing tackle hanging off your boat and mooring lines to open a shop and make a bit of money... you could whole-sale it back to TopCatch and create a nice resource recycling money merry-go-round.

Oh, and congratulations on the new family. Very cute they are :-) although they may have fledged and flown away by the time you are back.

PS, I don't think your fancy new mainsail covers are very good at keeping birds out...

I can't even make an arrangement for a load. Seems like most water truck operators believe that the best way to manage extreme demand is to stop taking bookings - as if ignoring it makes the need magicly go away. I get they are busy, i get they can only do so many loads a day and all the rest, but, the closing of bookings I can't fathom. I'd be over the moon if my forward demand was under pressure -its called certainty.

Romany,

What part of town are you in, and which companies have you tried?

I've now establish a relationship with a smaller and slower outfit, but one that I can book with via text message. One of the local companies with many more trucks only takes bookings by phone. I managed to book with them by phoning on a Sunday, then couldn't even get hold of them to cancel when my other guy came a week earlier with a cancellation slot.

The short story is these guys phones are ringing off the hook, so being able to book via text message is a major advantage. They reply to the texts while loading or emptying, and don't have to deal with calls while driving. Unless the company is big enough to permanently man the phones, but those are the ones you can't actually get through to...

Helensville, Fish.

Hard to create a relationship when they will not book because it forces u into thinking about throwing the panic mode switch.

I have somewhere around 15000 L which ain't bad compared to some people ive been told of, but i know it gets less every day and naturally - eventually will be zero.

Hence my focus on understanding my usage. If i focus hard on stretching what I have got, I'll be sweet but it is a concern for obvious reasons.

Yesterday we used 150L between 3 adults, 1 toddler and dogs n cats - so thats pretty good.

If you really want to conserve water:

1. Don't use the dishwasher (if you have one)

2. Don't use the washing machine - take washing to a laundromat

3. 2 minute showers

4.If you are waiting for hot water to come thru the tap have a container to catch the initial cold water, I always have a bucket in the shower and water bottle beside the kitchen sink

5. one glass of water for teeth cleaning, not a running tap 

6.Don't flush the loo every time you have a pee (this may encounter female resistance)

We're on tanks up in the Waitaks. We have 2x 25,000l tanks.

I think we've got ~14,000 left, so just under a third. 

Being on the hill means we tend to catch precipitation first, so we managed to catch all and more of that 6.6mm we had in January.

Having said that, we're beginning to conserve water, although at 400l/day we've got 35 days. We're 2 adults, 7yo and 5yo, so maybe more like 600l/day = 23days.

I ain't sharing with my neighbours though.....

I dont name and shame, and I'm not starting now, but if anybody else reading this lives in this neck of the woods -Everson Contracting aren't stupid about it.

I texted Simon, he responded with uncertainty about the exact date, but also indicated "about a week wait, maybe". There is quite a few holes in that onion bag but at least his reply is positive.

I can and probably will offer to wait longer because there are plenty out there worse off than me, but I'm stoked to have a positive reply.

Not taking bookings because you're 'busy as' is just dumb and does nothing to help, so I know where my business will go in the future