Optolamp anchor light

Dtwo

I have a Optolamp Amozonia Mirim 3 that is starting to give problems.  Basically I just leave the anchor light switched on and the photo sensitive thingy turns the light on when it gets dark.  Recently, it doesn't.  Sometimes it will strobe.  Sometimes if I turn it off, wait, then on, it will turn on but that has become a brief period of light, then nothing.  Last night it strobed briefly then died.

I was super careful when I wired it up (mast out of the boat).  It has been working for about 3 years.

The strobe is not wired, I just use the Tri and anchor light.  Tri works 100%.

Could the light sensor die?

Could, but unlikely. For the strobe to start, the 3rd cable must be connected to neg. The only way to be certain is to take it down and test it on the bench.....

I'll do that for you if you wish to return it - no charge to test...

Matt

• Upvote 1

Hmmm, more info.  I saw a note on Cruisers Forum that suggested disconnecting the wires for a few hours to give the capacitors time to discharge fully (might not have the electronic term correct) and then reconnect.  I did that and it was working last night when I checked a couple of times.

Matt with your knowledge is that a plausible scenario?

I had a "Bebi" led (American designed, Fijian made in SavuSavu ) anchor" light that did sterling service for about 6 years, then it became intermittent, it would operate for between 10 minutes and to an hour, then nothing. On-line it was suggested that if you drilled out the photo sensing switch (carefully) it would operate manually. It did but work, but still only for 10 minutes to an hour.

Hmmm, more info.  I saw a note on Cruisers Forum that suggested disconnecting the wires for a few hours to give the capacitors time to discharge fully (might not have the electronic term correct) and then reconnect.  I did that and it was working last night when I checked a couple of times.

Matt with your knowledge is that a plausible scenario?

Very unlikely, I think. These lights have been very reliable, I've sold over 100 over the last 4 years, and replaced 2.....