New rules for boaties around Asian Paddle Crab

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/biosecurity/news/article.cfm?c_id=500816&objectid=12310497

New rules have been introduced after Asian Paddle Crabs established a population in Tauranga.  Prior to moving a boat from the area, boaties are now required to agressively treat their hulls to ensure that mature crabs are not clinging to propellors, hull transducers and P-brackets.  Boats must be hauled out and any mature crabs boiled until tender.

Biosecurity spokesman N. O. Idea says "It has completely bewildered us how these crabs could have arrived in Tauranga, a port with very frequent links with China, on the hull of a cruising boat.  Boaties should pay for their complete recklessness with random spot fines just for the hell of it".

A spokesman representing the commercial shipping lobby refused to comment, telling our reporter "we pay Winston and Simon good money to represent us, go ask them".

• Upvote 3

And Jacinda . remember ( it's getting harder) she's the Prime Minister.Yep....once again its the recreational boaties that get hit. Never mind that the paddlies don't cling to any part of a mobile boat. But regulations around anti fouling / med. fan worm / etc/ get more emphasis . Is common sense defunct.? Yes ! I asked the local enforcement officer what these regs were designed to do and he told me that they couldn't get at the foreign ships so boaties were next in line. Ships stop 200 miles out and dump their ballast water . Yeah right. And it is rigorously enforced ??????

Uretiti beach in Northland had had them for 50 years at least, they account for several deaths by drowning Asian paddle crab fishers every year.

There was a NIWA boat with divers in the water at Kissing point this morning, 0800 ish, diving on the piles, they said,,?  your hull, my hull?? maybe. The NRC are moving back into Whangarei harbour as well, I guess still looking for the not so elusive fan worm and to overload the slipways once more with any unfortunates who have the missfortune to have a few.

Actually the fan worm could assist in helping clean up a dirty harbour, especially in the upper reaches.

As an NRC ratepayer I received a "puffery" brochure from said NRC expounding how they did things and that their aim was to be transparent! wonderful I thought, there was a link on the brochure to their website which also said you could ask any questions you had about their operations, and if you wanted a reply to post your email address. I asked 3 questions, 1, which basically asked how much had been spent on the pursuit of unwanted organisms,  2, given that boats divers and all the equipment that the cost that that would entail, was the job put out for tender? or was it done in house.  3,  What success if "any" had they had in eliminating said organisms...  After a day or so I received a reply saying that if I wanted those questions answered I would have to put in an official information request, (IOR) I replied that they had offered transparency only to duck behind the good old friend of the Bureaucrat the I.O.R. bogey. Obviously my definition of transparency was very different to theirs!  Last heard that they may consider changing the wording on the brochure!!

• Upvote 2

Sounds like the nice guy who talked to us at Westhaven about not cleaning our hull out in the Gulf and to keep it free of these damn bio-organisms.  He did not have an answer for why the marina did not have to keep itself clean or whether it was responsible for providing a jumping off spot to our hull.

Hey I was joking about the Paddle Crabs, but sadly it's closer to the truth than it should be!

With regards to marinas - if you don't have fan worm going into Gulf Harbour, you'll have it when you come out.  The place is crawling with it.

Hey I was joking about the Paddle Crabs, but sadly it's closer to the truth than it should be!

With regards to marinas - if you don't have fan worm going into Gulf Harbour, you'll have it when you come out.  The place is crawling with it.

I enjoyed the humour, your post coincided with my experience, hence my post.