Zozza

Covid 19 - Are you ready to raise sail outa here...?

Wheels, can I suggest that you limit what you believe to fact rather than rumour.

From the MoH update 20 Mar. here - https://www.health.govt.nz/news-media/media-releases/covid-19-update-ruby-princess-and-celebrity-solstice-cruises

“The ship travelled to Fiordland (11 March), Dunedin (12 March), Akaroa (13 March), Wellington (14 March) and Napier (15 March).  The cruise was shortened after visiting Napier, for weather reasons, and the ship returned directly to Sydney and passengers disembarked on the 18th.”

i’m not sure why you feel that they should announce where hospitalisations are?  The new cases announced yesterday were confirmed cases. There’s lots of reasons why there might be a delay in a positive test confirmation and/or why the patient is in hospital - that’s just good medical practice.  Remember, “treatment” is not much more than complete rest, hydration and monitoring for the overwhelming majority at the moment.

As for doctors not testing, what you’ve described makes sense to me. Why over burden the system with “far too many” certain to be negative tests.  If community transmission becomes evident then that practice is likely to change. Wasting testing resources now would hinder that. The context behind the mantra “test test test”, is once community transmission has occurred. That may or may not have occurred yesterday in one case but presumably doctors in that region are now modifying their practice as a consequence.

What have I said that is not Factual Scottie? In fact, I was saying to people that were telling me the rumor of the person in our local Hospital, that because the Media has not reported it, then it is likely just a Rumor.  I was sure that if it were true, we would be notified. I am not talking about a day or two before the news was released. It has nearly been a week since the Rumor first started.
Why do I think this is important? Because we as Public need to know what is happening locally as soon as possible, simply so we know whether we could have been exposed or not and make a decision of self isolating ourselves. As I have said much earlier, I have been sick myself and that same illness has spread to many others. Non of us know if it is just another Flu strain or the CoV19 strain because none of us have been tested. So far, Nation wide all we are seeing seems to be catch up to possible exposure. Nothing is preempted. We are not going to control this if preemption is not considered more.

Re the Ship, OK, I may have the name of the Ship wrong and I apologise. I read this early this morning and did not fully comprehend that it may have been two different Vessels.
This was a question from a Local Person on a local Forum. The bold print is the official notification and the normal print is the persons question.

Te Papa Visitors Saturday 14rh March : Consider Self Isolating Due to Ruby Princess passengers.

Shouldn’t similar warnings now be given regarding the cruise ship in Picton that disembarked many of its passengers into Marlborough on Sunday March 15th. I shake my head, yet again, in disbelief at the stupidity of many decisions made, at this challenging time.

I could leave in 2 hrs and be at sea for 3 months with what is normally aboard. 

As i just finished work it would be a bitch to see our investments fall over and be stuck with nothing but govt super. Better than being dead though. 

Our biggest worry is younger daughter now stuck in Cambridge. 

3 hours ago, wheels said:

What have I said that is not Factual Scottie? In fact, I was saying to people that were telling me the rumor of the person in our local Hospital, that because the Media has not reported it, then it is likely just a Rumor.  I was sure that if it were true, we would be notified. I am not talking about a day or two before the news was released. It has nearly been a week since the Rumor first started.
Why do I think this is important? Because we as Public need to know what is happening locally as soon as possible, simply so we know whether we could have been exposed or not and make a decision of self isolating ourselves. As I have said much earlier, I have been sick myself and that same illness has spread to many others. Non of us know if it is just another Flu strain or the CoV19 strain because none of us have been tested. So far, Nation wide all we are seeing seems to be catch up to possible exposure. Nothing is preempted. We are not going to control this if preemption is not considered more.

Re the Ship, OK, I may have the name of the Ship wrong and I apologise. I read this early this morning and did not fully comprehend that it may have been two different Vessels.
This was a question from a Local Person on a local Forum. The bold print is the official notification and the normal print is the persons question.

Hi Wheels,  

I don't want to respond directly to this especially in light of your prior post for fear of getting your back up again.  That's not my intention and I'm very sorry if that happenned.

My suggestion is still the same - don't react to rumour.  There's no need to go looking for additional information outside what the MoH and gumit is conveying.  There's so much BS flying around in the interweb that it's just too hard to figure out what's legitamite and what is not.  

What is interesting from the latest statement is another 14 new +'ves from 1200 tests (at least that's my reading) = 1.2%.  And 67 from 6000 tests thus far = 1.1%.  At the beginning of the week there were 8 +'ves from 500 tests = 1.6%.  They're all roughly the same number, or at least not getting any worse for the large increase in testing rate (and please don't extrapolate linearly!).  If everybody was to do as they're requested then there is EVERY chance we could eliminate this thing in NZ in the next two weeks.  I capitalise this deliberately in response to Matt's prevous post where he suggested there was ZERO chance of avoiding community transmission, which quantum phisicists will tell you is illogical!

We may get some local break outs but if they can be controlled by people already doing as instructed then we like China can halt this. Sadly the fallen human condition is such that most of us put our own importance ahead of everyone elses and think that what we need to get done in the next few weeks is thus also more important.  Time will tell just how much kiwis genuinely "will the good of the other".

2 hours ago, Black Panther said:

Our biggest worry is younger daughter now stuck in Cambridge. 

No connecting flights available through middle East? 

I just checked arrivals, I see what you mean!

And Cambridge has shut up shop,  labs only open.

Air NZ talked about repat flights as time goes on.

My daughter, son inlaw, have decides to stay put in Woods hole. Also Nephew in Japan.

See what transpires.

Best of luck.

Its easy to work out that it’s already in the NZ community and widespread. Just not yet adequately detected. Those of us with vulnerable family members are now in full lockdown mode as a result.

If NZ was the first country experiencing Covid-19 it would be a difficult decision how to handle it. But we are NOT the first country and so we DO have the glorious benefit of hindsight - by simply looking at the different ways that other countries have been dealing with it and the results they’ve seen over the last few days and weeks.

So in my mind, it should be the easiest decision this government has ever had to make, that tonight we should go straight to level 4 total lockdown - and ride out a few weeks tough living in order to stop it in it’s tracks and for the whole NZ population to feel the relative benefits by mid-year - compared to the alternative.

OK, I'm confused. You don't want to respond directly, yet

I don't want to respond directly to this especially in light of your prior post for fear of getting your back up again.  That's not my intention and I'm very sorry if that happenned.

My suggestion is still the same - don't react to rumour.  There's no need to go looking for additional information outside what the MoH and gumit is conveying.  There's so much BS flying around in the interweb that it's just too hard to figure out what's legitamite and what is not.  

Once again, I have not repeated rumors. In fact what has upset me is that I tend to work hard at stating fact rather than rumor, unless I make a mistake like the wrong Cruise ship. 
Why single me out Scottie? It seems I am never allowed an opinion. I post less and less on Crew and am close to just not bothering anymore. So I am out of this topic.