Zozza

Covid 19 - Are you ready to raise sail outa here...?

13 minutes ago, banaari said:

Hmmmm. Respect for the Coastguard, but their logic isn't far removed from the arguments frequently used against long-distance offshore sailing.

Comes down I think to "are you completely prepared to self-rescue".

Question for me would be, given a fore-and-aft mooring up a tide-compromised winding inlet, how much faith do I put the in the outboard to get me back to that mooring without needing external assistance. Well-serviced Yamaha, not a Seagull.... but even so...

Even then you are not out of options.  Think about being in that situation and no outside assistance is available.  Plenty of things you can do  

2 minutes ago, Black Panther said:

Even then you are not out of options.  Think about being in that situation and no outside assistance is available.  Plenty of things you can do  

Oh, plenty of things to do and absolutely not life threatening - but bloody inconvenient and likely to result in a low-key Sunday afternoon blatt turning into missing work on Monday. So maybe do it Saturday... 🤣

17 hours ago, dutyfree said:

So my boat is my bach, my "rich" mates have gone to their baches.  But I should not go to my boat and move it where I normally park my bach?

My "rich" mates will if they choose drive back to their "house", not being involved with anyone etc.

They could break down, have a crash etc and need asssitance.  I get the not getting around the rules, but the PM said take a drive to the beach, but keep your distance, don't interact.  I might drive to a beach on my boat, I promise not to interact.

The last 3 days there have been many boats being towed through Whangarei by obviously not local people . mostly middle aged couples in very nice wagons loaded to the gunnels just like what we see in Xmas holidays . Seems like plenty of people who can are going to their baches and expecting to do some fishing .

went to a Resene paint shop this morning, they had sold out of brushes and rollers and many paint lines were gone or running low.

Obviously alot of DIY being planned. Hope there is not an associated increase in ladder related injuries. 

1 minute ago, Black Panther said:

At least five boats have left the river already today, all obviously heading out for the duration.

Yep can see a few sails right now heading north and know of 3 family groups planning on BOI cruising for the duration 

From Gulf Harbour Marina;

To the Gulf Harbour Marina Community,

As you all know by now, the Government has announced that we will move to COVID-19 Alert Level 4 at 11.59 pm on Wednesday 25 March. As we prepare to go into self-isolation, we would like to assure you that the Gulf Harbour Marina team will continue to support you remotely.

We have always been committed to providing a safe & healthy environment and to ensure we maintain high levels of safety, we have now implemented the following measures:

• Marina administration staff will be working remotely during this period and will be available via email or telephone during normal office hours. All offices at the Marina will be closed for at least the next four weeks.
  • Our boat yard, lifts and dry stack operation will not be able to provide any regular services until further notice. A standby team will be available for emergency lifts.   
  • If you need to make a payment, please call the office during office hours for the relevant internet banking details.
  • Our security team will be on duty 24/7 ensuring the Marina is safe and secure. While the piers will be patrolled to ensure the wellbeing of your vessel, our team will not be on the water to assist with tows etc.
  • You are welcome to come down to your vessel with any persons that you are self-isolating with. You are free to leave the Marina on your vessel. We ask that you keep the recommended distance from all other Marina patrons. You may not mix or mingle at the Marina with any parties who are not members of your own self isolation group.
  • We still have a blanket ban on any non-authorised overnight self-isolation on board any vessel within Gulf Harbour Marina. All customers self-isolating must leave the Marina. Please make sure that if you intend on self-isolating aboard your vessel outside the Marina, that you do not touch any surfaces within the Marina which may be touched by others (trollies, gates, ablutions etc.).
  • There has been a run on diesel at the Marina and the tanks are currently empty. We have a tanker on order and we expect a delivery by mid-day Wednesday. 
  • We are increasing the frequency of cleaning Marina ablutions and the Marina laundry by 30%

Coastguard has issued the following advisory:

“We have had a lot of calls and messages from the public asking if they’re able to go out on the water during the lockdown period; our answer is no. Should you get into difficulty, you will quickly want help from Coastguard volunteers and staff, requiring them to leave self-isolation and come together to help you.

At this time when we all need to Unite to beat Covid-19, we ask that you stay off the water and out of harm’s way.  Please don’t put yourself or others at risk.”

The marine industry will be hit hard by the situation. Many marine trades have been forced to temporarily close their doors and lay off skilled tradies. Once things settle and the marine trades reopen, we encourage you all to get that boat work and scheduled maintenance done and help get our tenants, contractors and fellow businesses get back on their feet. 

Our thoughts go out to anyone affected by the current situation, and we thank you for your ongoing trust and support. If anything changes, please know we will be back in touch.

Went to my boat this morning to check lines and hatches and empty fridge. I noticed several things:

1. Increase in police cars on all the roads watching behaviour. Saw one guy pulled over with 2 kayaks in his roof. Authorities obviously curious about his plans.

2. Saw several people loading their boats and talking about their plans. I heard 3 boats on my pier alone confirm heading to Kawau. I reckon it’s going to be like xmas holidays up there. Not nice and quiet.

3. Motorway message boards saying local travel only

4. Navy personnel at GH marina

5. Military helicopter circling over GH Marina 

6. Listened on radio to reinforced Govt messages about “stay at home or stay local” and do not travel outside your local area unless official valid reason etc. Combined with new powers under State of Emergency and put all that together.... I reckon being out on the water could be seen as such an obvious flagrant breach of these instructions (unless you’re a liveaboard) that you could get a pretty uncomfortable visit from the authorities / Police / Navy / who knows. I wouldn’t fancy it.

I’m now very happy with my decision to stay at home not go sailing. And to have mounted a birdseye security camera up the mast so I can see what’s happening to the boat eg if we get a blow during the lockdown.