Zozza

Covid 19 - Are you ready to raise sail outa here...?

16 minutes ago, Black Panther said:

Im close to finding the CG message offensive.  I'm not allowed to use my boat unless they are ther?

You’re an exception because you liveaboard. And I’m not reacting (changing my plans) because of the CG message but more the Govt message. I agree with you that CG shouldn’t position themselves as some kind of essential recovery service / comfort blanket that must be present before you go boating.

But having used them in the past for both mechanical and medical problems, I can understand where they’re coming from. If you go boating today and start feeling unwell at anchor in the bay next week because of a heart issue or you unwittingly caught Covid a few days ago on land and it incubates whilst you’re setting sail - then if you call for help the CG will inevitably be called upon. It doesn’t matter how self-sufficient you are, if someone on board has a major medical event someone else onboard will (rightly) dual 111 or call on ch16. And the response will involve any combination of CG, Police, Westpac Rescue or others. And all they are saying is please eliminate this unnecessary complexity & risk whilst the whole country is in this heightened state of vulnerability by staying at home as requested, where everything can be dealt with more easily.

4 minutes ago, chariot said:

I notice that the good ship Puff has been put in storage. Makes sense.

Yeah she was due to come out this Friday but Tuesday morning I got the word that they were shutting down. Luckily Dave slotted me in but it was touch and go. Otherwise I’d be paying marina charges for nothing. Bad enough to have the new launch in the marina not able to use. 

I wonder if anyone been on Pacific Crossing for last three weeks .   Things have moved on massively across the world in that time, and they might have innocently cast off from Panama with a rude shock awaiting them if they didnt have satellite comms.   
Then again, I guess the days of Hiscocks are over, and almost everyone has means of some sort of Satellite comms back to land even halfway across the Pacific?

Eric and Susan Hiscock - Alchetron, The Free Social Encyclopedia

Hi Guys,

Sailing seems to be OK, BUT, can you guarantee that you won't need assistance.? Then Coastguard crews have to put themselves at risk.

Here's a possible solution: arrange with a mate to go out with two boats together. If one of you has a breakdown, the other can tow you home.

Simple.

Explain how that scenario complies with isolation. I think if you take yourself out there, you get yourself back with assistance.

Wherever you stay tonight is where you are supposed to stay until the lockdown is removed. Everyone appears to be trying to justify bending the rules to suit themselves.

37 minutes ago, alibaba said:

Hi Guys,

Sailing seems to be OK, BUT, can you guarantee that you won't need assistance.? Then Coastguard crews have to put themselves at risk.

Here's a possible solution: arrange with a mate to go out with two boats together. If one of you has a breakdown, the other can tow you home.

Simple.

You are allowed to drive to the supermarket.  What if you have an accident or breakdown?