Zozza

Covid 19 - Are you ready to raise sail outa here...?

2 hours ago, Knot Me... maybe said:

The poster who said that is scared, many are, and when people are scared they often make ill considered and usually inaccurate statements, which they certainly have in relation to this and your comments. That poster is far from alone, there are many making similar ill considered inaccurate comments in this thread.

So '000' I would ask you to remember back only a day or 3 when you told me something about some of the posters here on Crew and how to deal with the few miscreants or serial dickheads, pick which description you feel is most appropriate, I have ;) I would like to implore you to take the advice you gave me and apply it to yourself. As a sign of how much I believe that I have gone as far as to come back into the vipers pit to post this plea, forget the dickheads and please continue with your wise and sage advice, humorous comments, awesome blogging on canal life and your general positive view of life. 

For those struggling to use their own brain lets break down the messaging.

'Lock down' and 'Stay at home', 2 very simple messages aimed at the simple, those unable to understand/comprehend/ work out what the medicals need us to do to stop this arse of a bug. Does that mean if you open your back door you will be shot or die bleeding from the eyes? of course not. The Govt has said nothing even remotely like that, in fact they have said get out and take a walk, take a ride, run with your dog, that is fine and good to help beat the virus AS LONG AS you observe the 2 main and most important messages.

One is 'Bubble'.  By now you should have created your bubble in which you MUST stay for the next 4 weeks. That bubble is basically a simulated force field a minimum of 2 metres from your flash. It does not end at the back door, it moves with you. Inside your bubble for many are family, I have the Wa, D2 and the hairy creature that is D2 shadow, and that's fine AS LONG AS no one pops our collective bubble or any of us pops anyones bubble be it a solo or collective bubble. The 'bubble' is a vital part in the fight to stop human to human spread of the virus so do whatever you do but ensure the bubble, yours or anyone elses is not infringed. THAT IS THE PRIMARY MESSAGE THE GOVT AND MEDICALS ARE TRYING TO GET THE STUPID TO COMPREHEND, separation stops the spread.

The other is 'Essential'. Essential means what 'must' or 'needs' to happen it does not mean what you 'want' to happen. 2 examples based on me and my plans -

"I feel like going for a bike motorbike ride" and equally 'I want to go for a sail' -  No I can't do either as it is a 'want' not a 'need'.

But then "Me and the Wa are going north to the farm on Monday for a couple of days" and we will do that at least three times during the next month, maybe maybe depending on how a few expectant mums are looking. That is acceptable inside the guidelines as we can do that while maintaining our bubble and it is essential. As there is no dwelling there (building was due to start on Monday, bugger!) and I'm not living in a 3 sided hay barn for a month, it does mean we need to travel up and back, 140k each way.

I zizzed up and back yesterday to do a check and as an exercise I did the entire trip inside my 'bubble', including refuelling. I used a pay at the pump capable gas station and spray on sanitiser. Sprayed the key pad and handle with it before touching and again after touching.  But I won't use that method again as it involved a Ducati Multistrada, gravel roads and a wrist that has control problems so could mean a splat which is not what anyone needs for the next wee while. We will use the 4 wheeled wagon and do so with lots of extra caution. Once on the farm our bubble which is currently 20mts odd will become 1000mts. The ONLY thing that may pop our bubble while going up and back will be some muppet of a Plod. I intent to tape on the door of the wagon a sign explaining that so if stopped there is no reason for any bubbles to be popped, ours or the plods.

So not so much 'step outside your house and the world will end' crap, that is simply not true, it is a messaging technique aimed at the dumb and/or those who do not understand what the while process it about and trying to achieve.

And for those who are wanking on about going for a walk to the beach is bad but going to the supermarket is OK, have you actually thought that through in the context of what we all are trying to achieve? No you haven't as where is the most likely place your bubble will be popped or you will pop someone elses? At the beach or in a supermarket, use you brains you muppets, the supermarket visit is the most likely place transmission of the virus is likely to happen for 98% of us.

000, please reconsider your last statement. While I haven't been here for a while now it's taken bugger all to see the woke do appear on the rise sadly so your sanity is needed to help keep common sense alive.

+1 )000 we need wise witty sages, especially ones who gave us such wonderful exerpts of european canal life. I've got a spare r floating around??

This just sent to all NHS staff. Worth a read. 

At The Princess of Wales hospital. NHS staff have been sent this:

This is the advice given to hospital staff.

It explains the virus and hopefully, how to prevent getting it.

Please share with family, friends and work colleagues.

Virus Detection:

The simplest way to distinguish Coronavirus from a Common Cold is that the COVID-19 infection does not cause a cold nose or cough with cold, but it does create a dry and rough cough.

The virus is typically first installed in the throat causing inflammation and a feeling of dryness. This symptom can last between 3 and 4 days.

The virus typically then travels through the moisture present in the airways, goes down to the trachea and installs in the lungs, causing pneumonia that lasts about 5 or 6 days.

Pneumonia manifests with a high fever and difficulty breathing. The Common Cold is not accompanied, but there may be a choking sensation. In this case, the doctor should be called immediately.

Experts suggest doing this simple verification every morning: Breathe in deeply and hold your breath for 10 seconds. If this can be done without coughing, without difficulty, this shows that there is no fibrosis in the lungs, indicating the absence of infection. It is recommended to do this control every morning to help detect infection.

Prevention:

The virus hates heat and dies if it is exposed to temperatures greater than 80°F (27°C). Therefore hot drinks such as infusions, broths or simply hot water should be consumed abundantly during the day. These hot liquids kill the virus and are easy to ingest.

Avoid drinking ice water or drinks with ice cubes.

Ensure that your mouth and throat are always wet, never DRY. You should drink a sip of water at least every 15 minutes. WHY? Even when the virus enters water or other liquids through the mouth, it will get flushed through the oesophagus directly into the stomach where gastric acids destroy the virus. If there is not enough water, the virus can pass into the trachea and from there to the lungs, where it is very dangerous.

For those who can, sunbathe. The Sun's UV rays kill the virus and the vitamin D is good for you.

The Coronavirus has a large size (diameter of 400-500 nanometers) so face masks can stop it, no special face masks are needed in daily life.

If an infected person sneezes nearby, stay 10 feet (3.3 meters) away to allow the virus fall to the ground and prevent it from falling on you.

When the virus is on hard surfaces, it survives about 12 hours, therefore when hard surfaces such as doors, appliances, railings, etc. are touched, hands should be washed thoroughly and/or disinfected with alcoholic gel The virus can live nested in clothes and tissues between 6 and 12 hours. Common detergents can kill it. Things that cannot be washed should be exposed to the Sun and the virus will die.

The transmission of the virus usually occurs by direct infection, touching fabrics, tissues or materials on which the virus is present.

Washing your hands is essential.

The virus survives on our hands for only about 10 minutes. In that time many things can happen, rubbing the eyes, touching the nose or lips. This allows the virus to enter your throat. Therefore, for your good and the good of all, wash your hands very often and disinfect them.

You can gargle with disinfectant solutions (i.e. Listerine or Hydrogen Peroxide) that eliminate or minimize the amount of virus that can enter the throat. Doing so removes the virus before it goes down to the trachea and then to the lungs.

Disinfect things touched often: mobile phone, keyboard, mouse, car steering wheel, door handles, etc ....

Sent in to us just now and we wanted to share this knowledge & advice with you all.

Please do the same and take care!

5 hours ago, Black Panther said:

Just got the news the first of our friends has it. Poo.

Sorry to hear that.

Based on the emerging pattern, I suspect a significant number of people who went out on their boat yesterday will also be carrying it and will become sick in next 1-2 weeks. The worst thing is the pattern seen in the UK whereby in the most serious cases people initially feel crappy, then feel much better for a couple of days, then suddenly deteriorate really quickly - as in call an ambulance quickly. Anyone who is on the water and didn’t self-isolate for 14 days before they left is at risk of this happening on the anchorage.

4 hours ago, Maté said:

How about just do your bit to stop transmission, the only govts that responded half way ok are ones than have been through this before about 5 times

How about you understand that everyone is allowed an opinion? Mine is we had every advantage & opportunity to be in a better situation, both thru observing other countries mistakes, and by our position as an Island nation with easy control of borders & access, and our Govt. screwed the pooch. If you don't agree, I absolutely support your right to that view. But I expect the same respect from you thanks. And as for "doing my bit to stop transmission, WTF do you know about my situation, my job, and my efforts to stop transmission?

I think we all just need to try and relax and wait for the dust to settle. Due to more stringent border controls In 10 days time we will know what we are dealing with. Fingers crossed it is a manageable number of isolated clusters that can be mopped up. 

No country in the world is going to avoid this and from where I am sitting we are looking pretty good. If worst case scenario is we manage to flatten the curve enough for the health system to cope then we have done well.

I hope you all keep safe and enjoy your lockdown espiecially you luck bastards who were in a position to bug out on your boats! 

1 hour ago, SloopJohnB said:

This just sent to all NHS staff. Worth a read. 

At The Princess of Wales hospital. NHS staff have been sent this:

This is the advice given to hospital staff.

It explains the virus and hopefully, how to prevent getting it.

Please share with family, friends and work colleagues.

Virus Detection:

The simplest way to distinguish Coronavirus from a Common Cold is that the COVID-19 infection does not cause a cold nose or cough with cold, but it does create a dry and rough cough.

The virus is typically first installed in the throat causing inflammation and a feeling of dryness. This symptom can last between 3 and 4 days.

The virus typically then travels through the moisture present in the airways, goes down to the trachea and installs in the lungs, causing pneumonia that lasts about 5 or 6 days.

Pneumonia manifests with a high fever and difficulty breathing. The Common Cold is not accompanied, but there may be a choking sensation. In this case, the doctor should be called immediately.

Experts suggest doing this simple verification every morning: Breathe in deeply and hold your breath for 10 seconds. If this can be done without coughing, without difficulty, this shows that there is no fibrosis in the lungs, indicating the absence of infection. It is recommended to do this control every morning to help detect infection.

Prevention:

The virus hates heat and dies if it is exposed to temperatures greater than 80°F (27°C). Therefore hot drinks such as infusions, broths or simply hot water should be consumed abundantly during the day. These hot liquids kill the virus and are easy to ingest.

Avoid drinking ice water or drinks with ice cubes.

Ensure that your mouth and throat are always wet, never DRY. You should drink a sip of water at least every 15 minutes. WHY? Even when the virus enters water or other liquids through the mouth, it will get flushed through the oesophagus directly into the stomach where gastric acids destroy the virus. If there is not enough water, the virus can pass into the trachea and from there to the lungs, where it is very dangerous.

For those who can, sunbathe. The Sun's UV rays kill the virus and the vitamin D is good for you.

The Coronavirus has a large size (diameter of 400-500 nanometers) so face masks can stop it, no special face masks are needed in daily life.

If an infected person sneezes nearby, stay 10 feet (3.3 meters) away to allow the virus fall to the ground and prevent it from falling on you.

When the virus is on hard surfaces, it survives about 12 hours, therefore when hard surfaces such as doors, appliances, railings, etc. are touched, hands should be washed thoroughly and/or disinfected with alcoholic gel The virus can live nested in clothes and tissues between 6 and 12 hours. Common detergents can kill it. Things that cannot be washed should be exposed to the Sun and the virus will die.

The transmission of the virus usually occurs by direct infection, touching fabrics, tissues or materials on which the virus is present.

Washing your hands is essential.

The virus survives on our hands for only about 10 minutes. In that time many things can happen, rubbing the eyes, touching the nose or lips. This allows the virus to enter your throat. Therefore, for your good and the good of all, wash your hands very often and disinfect them.

You can gargle with disinfectant solutions (i.e. Listerine or Hydrogen Peroxide) that eliminate or minimize the amount of virus that can enter the throat. Doing so removes the virus before it goes down to the trachea and then to the lungs.

Disinfect things touched often: mobile phone, keyboard, mouse, car steering wheel, door handles, etc ....

Sent in to us just now and we wanted to share this knowledge & advice with you all.

Please do the same and take care!

Sorry SJB but this is yet another (of the many) fake emails doing the rounds on Covid. I received it a few days ago but quickly confirmed it’s fake-ness via google search. The fake warnings do sound increasingly plausible but that’s their skill ie making emails about viruses go viral 😊

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-03-23/these-are-some-of-the-fake-news-and-hoaxes-being-shared-about-coronavirus-and-what-you-can-do-to-stop-their-spread/

I hope those out there pick a nice bay to park in for the next month.

Local Notice to Mariners:
Notice: 19 – 20  Covid-19 – Important information for mariners

This local notice to mariners is issued in line with government guidance regarding the
Covid – 19 Level 4 restrictions.

All mariners are advised that all non-essential boating must cease while the level 4
restrictions are in place.
In addition, please be advised that:
• All on-water events (such as yacht races and swim events) have been cancelled.
• The Harbourmaster’s office has reduced capacity to respond to maritime hazards
whilst the level 4 restriction are in place. Therefore, all mariners are asked to
navigate with extreme caution during this time.
• People living on vessels are subject to the same Level 4 lockdown requirements as
those living ashore.
• Vessels at anchor must remain in the same location during Level 4 unless it is
unsafe to do so.

This notice is valid until further notice.

If it becomes necessary to conduct a rescue at sea for someone not complying with these
requirements, Coastguard volunteers are placed at unnecessary risk and an additional
strain is placed on emergency services. Please don’t be selfish!
The Harbourmasters office thanks you for your cooperation in these unprecedented times.

Andrew Hayton
Auckland Harbourmaster

Please note it was not me that used that horrendously shocking hate speak 'S' word, I only copied and pasted an official utterance. I shall inform the Harbourmaster how he has now seriously offended a handful, a small one thankfully, of Crew.Org posters.