Zozza

Covid 19 - Are you ready to raise sail outa here...?

Surely the key bit is:

All mariners are advised that all non-essential boating must cease while the level 4 restrictions aren’t in place.

Which is another way of saying nobody with a dwelling ashore should set sail for leisure purposes.

I really hope not too many people out there get crook (the stats say some will)...

5 hours ago, Aleana said:

Sorry to hear that.

Based on the emerging pattern, I suspect a significant number of people who went out on their boat yesterday will also be carrying it and will become sick in next 1-2 weeks. The worst thing is the pattern seen in the UK whereby in the most serious cases people initially feel crappy, then feel much better for a couple of days, then suddenly deteriorate really quickly - as in call an ambulance quickly. Anyone who is on the water and didn’t self-isolate for 14 days before they left is at risk of this happening on the anchorage.

I see sailing Zatara has left Gulf Harbour. I really don't think it was a good idea.

There are still several flouting the law. I have seen several Campervans on the road. By the way, the Grape Harvest got the go ahead to continue here in Marlborough. That means there are thousands of people working around here every day and impossible to Police. So the Police have said they won't bother stopping anyone to check where they are going, as it's an impossible task.

A recovering 38 yr old  Italian patient says the Corona Virus "walks on the legs of people with no symptoms" , spent 6 days wearing an oxygen helmet - life changing Stay in your bubble folks .

12 hours ago, bigal.nz said:

I see sailing Zatara has left Gulf Harbour. I really don't think it was a good idea.

They really had no choice. The marina facilities are closed. No discharge in marina. Liveaboards are allowed to remain aboard, but should be anchored in one place for the duration (excepting forces of weather, food or medical requirements) 

Very few boats have holding tank capacity for a month with a family aboard.

18 hours ago, Bad Kitty said:

How about you understand that everyone is allowed an opinion? Mine is we had every advantage & opportunity to be in a better situation, both thru observing other countries mistakes, and by our position as an Island nation with easy control of borders & access, and our Govt. screwed the pooch. If you don't agree, I absolutely support your right to that view. But I expect the same respect from you thanks. And as for "doing my bit to stop transmission, WTF do you know about my situation, my job, and my efforts to stop transmission?

Dont come the raw prawn and pretend to be offended, we all know this is an opinionfest on crew. It's not personal but everyone is a genius after the fact, very few world gvts have responded perfectly. NZ has done OK and if you want a comparison look no further to the befuddled approach across the ditch or even the US. I  have stated that we should have pulled the drawbridge up weeks ago, but you ignored that opinion, but as you well know there are many competing agendas in govt that wanted the country to remain open.  

If your job is important to the war effort kudos to you, as for me I'm a minor cog in a pointless machine so Ill just stay home.

Be kind to the camper vans. They have been forgotten about in all of this, and literally have nowhere to go. Almost all recreational camp grounds have been closed (i.e. Top 10), cause they are recreational. All DoC campgrounds, all Auckland Regional Parks are closed, all of the NZ Motor Caravan Association (NZMCA) park over sites are closed, because they are deemed recreational activities. There is a large number of people who permanently live on the road. They want to be safe, and they want to comply, but it s been made almost impossible for them.

By example, Auckland has closed all of the designated freedom camping spots. But then they've opened certain reserves to camping that are normally completely banned. But they haven't communicated that to anyone, and people seriously don't know what they can do, or what they are allowed to do.

There is a large network set up to find these people spaces to go, including private land etc. Camper vans etc are having to drive in some cases long distances to get to these spots. A family member has 4 campers parked on a section he is planning to build on, just to give them somewhere safe to go, where they wont get moved on mid lockdown.

PS, if anyone has land they would be happy for someone to park on for the lockdown, let me know my private message.

Earlier this week, the council moved campers out of its Whakatāne Holiday Park explaining that this was because it was not an essential business that could stay open during the lockdown.

Campers who were moved on questioned why the council couldn't keep the camp open for them and were concerned about where they could go instead.

The council has also shut various freedom camping sites around the district.

The move has been criticised by Top 10 Holiday Park manager Mark Inman who believes it is better for campers to stay in official campsites.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/local-democracy-reporting/120614594/coronavirus-freedom-campers-in-lockdown-at-bay-of-plenty-shopping-carpark