Zozza

Covid 19 - Are you ready to raise sail outa here...?

Very quiet up here today , only one boat out in all of bream bay , H and chicks , Whangarei heads , toots ...gamefishing about 7 miles out between chicks and sugarloaf . There mustn’t be any officials at toots marina restricting access 

https://www.odt.co.nz/star-news/star-christchurch/campervan-city-showgrounds-converted-returning-kiwis

Hate to put damper on things but this covid 19 might only be the start.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-18/as-china-virus-cases-near-zero-experts-warn-of-second-wave

“No one knows whether the virus will disappear ultimately, or will it persist like flu and become prevalent intermittently, or will it be like hepatitis B that resides in people without sufficient immunity and spreads to others in that way?” said Wang Chen, the dean of Peking Union Medical College, in an interview with Xinhua on Friday.

18 minutes ago, marinheiro said:

According to this release and the government Coronavid web site you can still go for a walk in your local neighbourhood, whilst of course maintaining separation

No fishing flyer.pdf 55.25 kB · 2 downloads

"Going fishing is not complying with the intent of the lockdown" - welcome to a police state everyone!

2 hours ago, Island Time said:

They really had no choice. The marina facilities are closed. No discharge in marina. Liveaboards are allowed to remain aboard, but should be anchored in one place for the duration (excepting forces of weather, food or medical requirements) 

Very few boats have holding tank capacity for a month with a family aboard.

I have heard (unconfirmed) that all the overseas cruising boats were chased out of the Whangarei Town Basin.

No one knows whether the virus will disappear ultimately, or will it persist like flu and become prevalent intermittently, or will it be like hepatitis B that resides in people without sufficient immunity and spreads to others in that way?” said Wang Chen, the dean of Peking Union Medical College, in an interview with Xinhua on Friday.

Firstly, I see the comment made often -"The Flu" or "common Cold" - as if that is something different. It isn't. COVID 19 is another Viral Cold type Flu. There are many different strains of Virus in just this one Corona type alone. The name Corona was given to this form of Virus, because it looks like it has a Halo or Corona (as in the Sun) around it. Corona is Latin for Crown. It is not really a Crown at all, but in fact masses of things that look kind of like little Legs each with a foot on the end. It is these leg type things that allow the Virus to sit on certain surfaces for much longer than any other form of Virus normally can. In fact, our Door handles and bench tops are made from SST because the Chromium in SST usually kills a Virus on contact. In the case of C19, it has been found that it can survive on a SST surface for several days. Copper can still destroy it quickly and so Bronze being high in Copper seems to be able to destroy it quickly.
The name COVID is assigned to it by the WHO for identification as, CO for the family of Virus, the VI meaning Viral Infection and the D for Disease. 19 being the year it was first discovered.
C19 is of the SARS family. SARS means Sever Acute Respiratory Syndrome. MERS is also in the same Family. Both these two are considered lower Respiratory infections.
Upper Respiratory infections are caused by the Rhinovirus.
There are also Letters used to show what species a Virus can affect.
Influenza A and B are the two types of influenza that cause epidemic seasonal infections nearly every year.
Influenza A can be found in many species, including humans, Birds and Pigs. Due to the breadth of potential hosts and its ability to genetically change over a short amount of time, influenza A viruses are very diverse and capable of causing Pandemics.
Influenza B is typically only found in humans.
Influenza C mainly occurs in humans, but has been known to also occur in dogs and pigs.
Influenza D is found mainly in cattle.
While these forms of Virus have the ability to mutate, they still remain within the Genre of that type of Virus. They do not become some other type. Thus why Humans can eventually create antibodies to fight the Virus, (even if it has mutated). Mutated just means the Body is going to take much longer to make the Antibodies and some Virus can attack Organs in this time.
In the case of the Cold type Virus, secondary infections can be the Killer. Like Pneumonia for instance.

Still might head out into the gulf to self isolate due to my underlying conditions what put me at very high risk if I get it but the unknown is for how long?  Also if the cops approach how do you know they are not infected. Surely they need to respect the rules too?

9 minutes ago, Maté said:

Still might head out into the gulf to self isolate due to my underlying conditions what put me at very high risk if I get it but the unknown is for how long?  Also if the cops approach how do you know they are not infected. Surely they need to respect the rules too?

I've heard from one boat that got stopped 10 mins after leaving the marina.  Friendly chat and a reminder to stay put as much as possible.  No physical contact. 

I feel safer here than in the city. About 9 boats sharing the anchorage.