Zozza

Covid 19 - Are you ready to raise sail outa here...?

My wife and I just spent 4 days on barrier (flew in friday, out monday this week).

Fantastic 4 days.

The residents appeared very vervous and their reasoning seemed fair:

Only 2 doctors and 5 nurses on the island. Anyone of those gets crook it would be a problem

The average age of those on barrier is a lot older than the national average - and we all know what that means.

I wish the islanders well and I sincerely hope the yachties out there act responsibly.

Yes as I predicted a few days ago the bad press about boaties not staying at home and going sailing has started. It was inevitable. Because unless you are on a superyacht there is no way you are going to sit on your boat for 4 weeks without going ashore. And the going ashore options in many places are limited and become bottlenecks. Which attracts attention. Which the media gets hold of. And the public is highly sensitive right now, for obvious reasons. So don’t be surprised by the ‘hysterical’ reaction. It was entirely predictable!

Have seen 5 yachts today heading north on the southerly breeze , one was coming from barrier . I suspect the majority are international cruisers leaving Whangarei for BOI . Maybe hoping for a less authoritarian environment up there ? 

2 hours ago, Dtwo said:

And from Stuff:

"Police have become involved in a stand-off between irate residents on Great Barrier Island/Aotea and boaties anchored up in their waters for the lockdown."

Someone with a calm and reassuring tone should remind all involved that they are not "their" waters.

How did it go picking up wife??

1 hour ago, ex Elly said:

Since there is no real sports news, they showed some sailing on TV1 last night.

The guys who have just won the 18 footer worlds in Sydney are self isolating on a keeler out at Great Barrier.

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/sport/other/kiwi-sailing-duo-undertake-unconventional-self-isolation

Did you see the clip of the guy calling the races ? It was feckin funny . Will see if I can find it 

2 hours ago, Aleana said:

Yes as I predicted a few days ago the bad press about boaties not staying at home and going sailing has started. It was inevitable. Because unless you are on a superyacht there is no way you are going to sit on your boat for 4 weeks without going ashore. And the going ashore options in many places are limited and become bottlenecks. Which attracts attention. Which the media gets hold of. And the public is highly sensitive right now, for obvious reasons. So don’t be surprised by the ‘hysterical’ reaction. It was entirely predictable!

Yep, and the muppets at barrier who had the raft up party should be locked up! Same rules as ashore, keep within your bubble. Also, if you are isolating on your boat, as we are, it needs to be stocked for the duration. It's unfair to put pressure (and additional contact) on a remote community store.

Don't  necessarily agree with the going ashore Rob, I've voluntarily stayed aboard over a month on several occasions. This time though there is an empty beach, and we've been doing our 10,000 steps up and down every day. I still firmly believe we are better isolated than most.

The other boats here have been well behaved, properly distancing, but there are a few still moving, guess they have not got the message properly yet. Some on land the same I believe. 

Stay safe everyone!

The government has been lying right from the start of the virus outbreak. Remember 2 days ago no one was in intensive care, yesterday it was announced one person had been in intensive care for several days, today it was announced 2 people are in intensive care and one is fighting for their life.

Now censorship is starting

https://www.kiwiblog.co.nz/2020/03/govt_closes_down_all_non_daily_newspapers.html

this is outrageous and totally unnecessary. Next it will opinion columnists, bloggers and then forums like this. Our country is heading for very dark times.....

Hi marinheiro, I thinks its more to do with not spreading the virus by keeping periodicals that are still hand delivered out of the system until the virus ends.
I don't think there is any deep dark conspiracy to ban journalism.  If there were, the biggest media threat to the Labour party would also be banned, being NZME group, consisting of NZ Herald and NEwstalk ZB.  Mike Hosking, for example, makes his living talking and writing about what a terrible government Labour is.