Zozza

Covid 19 - Are you ready to raise sail outa here...?

Some say our Govt was to slow to react but I say they did it in a timely fashion

Look at Italy suppose to have over 400 deaths per day,when one looks at their normal annual death rate of 640000 pa the virus has caused a 20% rise in deaths so its not as bad as media makes out but yes its still bad. 

https://reason.com/2020/03/17/italian-daily-death-rate-up-20-because-of-coronavirus-lombardy-up-about-80

1 hour ago, Fish said:

Guys,

We need to work constructively. In times of high anxiety and obvious stress, it is easy to get niggly and fractious. I know, I do it.

I actually think we are all saying basically the same thing (me, Mate, Marinheiro). Part of what I'm saying is, its not a good time to descend into a shitfight, either on a sailing forum, or either in real life aka the leader of the opposition (and he's backed off that). Far more can be gained by those in charge keeping their heads and being rational. (I'm sure there is a famous quote about keeping calm when all around you are panicing...)

Certainly I know from my time as a first responder in Chch that it is extremely unhelpful for people to lash out when under pressure, but also it is really hard for myself to bite my tongue...

On a constructive focus, Marinheiro, I am really interested in the kind of experiences your missus is talking about. I think they can provide insight and preparedness.

I just got off the phone to my Mum, she works in a resthome. Its already understaffed, and she has a very high workload. They were instructed yesterday that anyone with any minor cold or flu symptoms must not come to work (that part is obvious). But they wont get paid...

Many staff are missing shifts, it is already extremely challenging, and it hasn't even started yet. This, for night work, for not much more than the minimum wage. My Mum is 67, if she gets it, the prognosis wont be good. But someone needs to care for those residences she cares for. I am concerned about the situation. Right now I'm working out what I can do about it. I'm likely to raise it with an MP.

The resthome owner is Oceania. Feel free to shame them for not supporting their staff, whom they will need most this winter...

Fish, firstly feel for your mother's dilemma, alot of people will be facing this situation. It is not just the front line health workers but the many people who contribute to keeping our modern society functioning, all the infrastructure, supply chain for businesses - our city residence is 50m from the supermarket and the number of trucks making daily deliveries is quite remarkable, they really are running on a just in time basis.

If this virus takes off in NZ, and just look at what has happened in Australia in the last couple of days, then we will have to face the reality of not only not enough equipment but not enough front line health professionals. My wife does not have NZ registration yet could be a very valuable resource, I am sure there are quite a few others dr's and nurses in the community the same, wonder if there is any sort of planning/consideration for a "call to arms" for these people?

On the recommendations side from my wife, she is reinforcing hygiene (even more so than normal!), not just handwashing but also cleaning surfaces especially in the bathroom (taps and toilets) and the kitchen. Use bleach products or raid the workshop for meths or rubbing alcohol. Clean your mobile phone face and computer keyboards regularly . Says if we come home from being out on the street, change out of those clothes immediately and hot wash the clothes. We receive quite a few packages by courier for our business, these go in the garage for "quarantine". Keep your distance from other people in public places and do not walk behind people who are sneezing or coughing , they are leaving a wake of droplets in the air. Be obsessive about avoiding  touching door handles, trolleys, escalator rails etc in public places. 

She is strongly recommending staying at home as much as possible (especially for elderly and those high risk) and avoiding gatherings. We discussed the latter at our Rotary meeting on Monday, where there are a lot of elderly members, and they have subsequently cancelled meetings for the foreseeable future.

As we all know there is no vaccine for the virus so all we can do is maintain our strength as best as possible. Vitamin C and cold/cough remedies are other products in short supply. If you have access to a doctor who is knowledgeable about anthroposophical medicine ( https://www.anthroposophy.org.nz/initiatives/health-and-wellbeing/) some of their medicine is very helpful to bolster the immune system. 

We are on the cusp of opening our new retail shop but have decided it is best to hold off for now. If you have  a business you really need to go thru the risk analysis review of exposure for yourselves, employees and customers.  There is going to be a lot of economic pain as well as health issues.

There are alot of elderly people in our community and for those of us who are healthy and able bodied, we need to start thinking about how we can assist even in little ways.

Up until today I thought we were doing an OK job (if a few days too slow on the border closure) but sad to say I no longer feel that way...  Today I heard a firsthand example of the lack of preparedness and proactive attitude behind the headlines...

So a few days ago my global boss returned to NZ from his extensive travels (we both travel shed loads but I stopped in mid-Dec for other reasons). So he agreed to self-isolated at the family bach for 14 days and yesterday started feeling symptomatic. So this morning he went to the doctor who asked him “Where have you travelled from?” He answered: “Everywhere. US, UK, Europe and Singapore. About 10 long haul flights in the last month”. Outcome = no test because he didn’t travel in China, Iran or Italy and because he can’t prove contact with a known COVID-19 carrier.

So behind the headlines of (currently) 39 cases you can be sure there are 4-5x undetected cases because we are ignoring the WHO and China’s advice of “test, test, test so you know what you’re dealing with.” We’re not, so we don’t yet know what we’re dealing with.

yep, there is no chance - ZERO - of stopping this. Only of potentially slowing it down, and that seems unlikely to me. I'm waiting for the first community transmitted cases in NZ, and I expect that that will be in the next day or 3....

My son has brought a USA student up to Auckland(Friday)been recalled home by military)he is in the military studying at Waikato Uni.

Was booked on a flight home that went via Australia,nope cannot board.Rang his boss and is now booked a direct charter flight at 2.00pm to america along with other personal.

USA borders are still open but closing soon.

On 20/03/2020 at 4:31 PM, Island Time said:

yep, there is no chance - ZERO - of stopping this. Only of potentially slowing it down, and that seems unlikely to me. I'm waiting for the first community transmitted cases in NZ, and I expect that that will be in the next day or 3....

Latest count of 52 includes 2 cases not attributable to travel, it is now in the community