Sabre

Fibreglass water tanks?

Thinking of building some ply/glass water tanks to match the shape of my bilge. Does anyone here know what food safety concerns there are around this? Can I just use west system epoxy or is that likely to give me cancer?

Where is your water tank at present. I thought my R26 had the tank in the keel. Needed the bilge for beer can storage, oh and some tinned food.

I had a plastic tank made to the hull shape of my present boat. Just provided them with dimensions and inlet, breather and outlet sizes. Was delivered about a week later.

Will find out company name if interested. Think they were in Matamata. Cheaper than S/S.

Yea the water tank is above the keel. It is integral to the hull and is just sealed with a ply top. Previous owner painted the surfaces with a potable paint but its all lifting/bubbling. At this stage im thinking the best long term low maintanance solution is to make a tank or tanks to fit in the same place. I do like the idea of plastic over stainless. Do you remember a ball park figure of what it cost you?

Thinking of price,ply glue clothe expendables,might be cheaper to get a S/S tank built?

Thanks HT. I do have plenty of resin and cloth on hand so the expense would be negligible. Its the health risk I'm mainly concerned about so I am now thinking ss or plastic and I would lean towards plastic at this stage..

Talk to Adtec, Adhesive Technologies in Henderson, awesome guys & super knowledgeable about what to use.

Composite tanks are great, but plastic may be cheaper/easier.

Space may work better if you make them yourself though? 

Talk to Adtec, Adhesive Technologies in Henderson, awesome guys & super knowledgeable about what to use.

Composite tanks are great, but plastic may be cheaper/easier.

Space may work better if you make them yourself though?

Yea its a funny shape as boats tend to be so maybe I will need to make some templates up out of thin ply and get them made from that