Best 40' yacht...

There are a large range of French designs that probably would fit your requirements, I have a 40 year old one, alluminium cutter, 2 Centre boards, unfortunately it wouldn't fit the 6'4" min headroom. Though I have had many 6' plus folk onboard who have managed. All the info you need can be found online, even easier if you speak French. J.P Brouns is one prolific designer, there are many others. Google and Google again.

Is the headroom absolutely essential? My No.2 son is somewhere over six foot and he recently upgraded to a Chico 35. He doesn't quite have full headroom but doesn't see it as a problem - the first thing you do when you go below is sit down. We lived on a Cav 39 for three years which gave us full headroom, then went down to a H 28 which we lived on for four months over each summer.  We did not find going to a smaller boat with a lot less headroom a problem.  If you can adapt to the need yo bend the head a little when under deck, you have a lot more options.

The Jeanneau DS (deck saloon) range has huge headroom, stowage and overall volume. I’ve got a 42DS but even the 39DS is a spacious boat. I’m 6’2” and breeze through the boat.

My experience as a 6’2” sailor of buying and owning European & Kiwi boats is that you will almost certainly not get 6’4” headroom in a 40 footer of any design. Exceptions being (1) custom builds and (2) European Deck Saloon / Kiwi Pilothouse designs.

Generally speaking kiwi designs are lower headroom (except for pilothouse designs) mostly seeking performance in favour of headroom. I recall viewing a Farr 46 that I couldn’t stand upright in.

The European boats are generally taller down below but you don’t find 6’4” throughout the boat until you get up to the 50ft mark (depending on model).

And so can you get one for $250k. Yes if you’re prepared to get something a bit older and longer than 40ft.

In terms of cost, forget the sticker prices on TM. If you seriously have $250k ready to slap on the table, then in today’s Covid-19 wobbly market you could viably offer that to any vendor asking $350k and you’d stand a strong chance of getting a deal. Just make sure it’s got a water maker and big fuel tanks...

In summary on the Euro options:

1. if 40ft is an upper limit then from recollection probably only Beneteau Oceanis 40 or Jeanneau 39DS stand a chance of meeting your tall requirements for headroom.

2. But if $250k (not 40ft) is your upper limit then the Beneteau Oceanis 46s, Hanse 461 and Beneteau 473s on TM are all huge volume and worth a look.

Otherwise buy a ship.

Yes the Bene First is another great option and in a different league to a 1220. Designed more for performance & racing than the Oceanis cruising range, the Firsts also have slightly beefed up rig & hull at high load points.

I am 6 foot 4 inches tall and own a Farr 1220.  Headroom not a problem in the saloon although I do bang my head sometimes moving through the cabin doors in to the rear and forwards cabins. 

Headroom was certainly a factor in buying the boat, these days I need to be able to stand up.

My Neighbour has one of those, Kiwi Breeze. She sails pretty well for what she is, but significantly slower than the Bene 1st OR the 1220... HUGE interior and cockpit for her size, must be 2x that of the 1220...

12 minutes ago, Island Time said:

My Neighbour has one of those, Kiwi Breeze. She sails pretty well for what she is, but significantly slower than the Bene 1st OR the 1220... HUGE interior and cockpit for her size, must be 2x that of the 1220...

Life’s a journey not a race and that Young is a minter.

DS is a hard one to pull off  at that length and she works better in my opinion than the opposition.

That cockpit is a beauty.

8B23AF5D-FBAC-4639-832E-65B16F50112E.png