idlerboat

Corona virus statistics and reality

This was supposed to be a thread about corona statistics, the science behind them and how that ties in with peoples opinion around the actual situation.

There is some really (somewhat morbidly i'll admit) interesting statistical work being done around trends, growth rates, infection patterns, testing patterns and, yes, the reliability of some data, but that's just getting lost in the noise.

If you want to talk politics,  there are threads for that.

Please, can I ask everyone to be respectful of the site rules and stay on topic, as personally I think this discussion topic has real value.

Thanks

4 hours ago, harrytom said:

https://www.change.org/p/government-of-china-get-the-world-to-stop-chinese-animal-markets

If the practice does not stop we will back here in lockdown in a further 12 months.

Was it animals? A very knowledgeable person had stated it is thought the viruses are a result caused by a certain village some where near the pandemic epi center making soup with bat wings. Is this true? Has any member researched this issue?

44 minutes ago, Rehabilitated said:

Was it animals? A very knowledgeable person had stated it is thought the viruses are a result caused by a certain village some where near the pandemic epi center making soup with bat wings. Is this true? Has any member researched this issue?

some of the recent theories are that corona-19 has been around for a few years in a chinese village near the "bat cave"

feb 13 - https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/health-problems/mysterious-bat-cave-in-chinese-wilderness-could-hold-key-to-coronavirus/news-story/530063aeb9de7020e626f1c4839b9777

and was also in northern italy at the end of last year, recorded as a strange pneumonia mainly effecting the elderly

https://time.com/5799586/italy-coronavirus-outbreak/

another interesting subject is that childhood BCG vaccinations may be protecting many who had them before they were deemed unneccessary

apparently there were 8? strains of BCG vaccination used, around the world, with some appearing to offer more protection to corona etc.  than others

Studies on mice show that the BCG vaccine can protect not only against tuberculosis but also against viral infections of the respiratory tract.

japan's own brew may be protecting their elderly well

italy never really went all in for BCG...

nz was pretty good about vaccinating its kids in the 50s, 60s, 70s

before all the vaccine deniers popped out of the woodwork 

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-03-vaccine-bcg-immune-boost-coronavirus.html

39 minutes ago, Ed said:

This was supposed to be a thread about corona statistics, the science behind them and how that ties in with peoples opinion around the actual situation.

There is some really (somewhat morbidly i'll admit) interesting statistical work being done around trends, growth rates, infection patterns, testing patterns and, yes, the reliability of some data, but that's just getting lost in the noise.

If you want to talk politics,  there are threads for that.

Please, can I ask everyone to be respectful of the site rules and stay on topic, as personally I think this discussion topic has real value.

Thanks

I disagree. If politicians are quoting stats at us then the two are intrinsically intertwined.

Edited by Sailing NZ

10 hours ago, Knot Me... maybe said:

So a week into slaughtering the economy BIG time, people losing jobs hand over fist, Beloved Leader in full narcissist mode and lots of other bad sh*t and where are we at today.

2 in ICU, 10 more in hospital so pretty much a very quiet weekend on NZ roads.

Add in the 650 people who sneezed so the media and powers that be can go full monty on themselves and .......

errr......

ummm......

f*ck this sh*t, I'm going for a sail.

Good and Don,t come home. Using your crude expressions again that got you out for some time

6 minutes ago, erice said:

the most current assumptions seem to be that corona-19 has been around for a few years in a chinese village near the "bat cave"

and was also in northern italy at the end of last year, recorded as a strange pneumonia mainly effecting the elderly

https://www.fort-russ.com/2020/03/major-leading-italian-doctor-questions-official-covid-19-theory-say-strange-pneumonia-hit-in-november-2019/

Yes but do they think it was from bat wings soup, chickens, dog stew, cat stew, rat stew, or other.

9 minutes ago, Sailing NZ said:

Wrong. If politicians are quoting stats at us then the two are intrinsically intertwined.

Carry on I say.  ..

Stats are fine but can be twisted to suit all arguments.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/world/2020/04/02/free-coronavirus-test-anyone-this-country-its-possible/%3foutputType=amp

This is what Iceland is doing!.

A very interesting stats based approach using free unlimited random sampling.

The expert's believe these stats reveal the real state of Covid19.

Very interesting.