idlerboat

Corona virus statistics and reality

tokyo + osaka have been reporting similar numbers to nz

Tokyo, the center of the coronavirus outbreak in Japan, reported 83 new cases Monday. The increase was lower than the previous two days — 117 on Saturday and 143 on Sunday. Sunday was the highest single-day total yet.

Mondays have typically seen a decrease in the number of cases, a trend that was believed to be the result of a smaller number of tests being conducted over the weekend

which is pretty good as tokyo's population is about 6x nz's

but central gov has finally agreed to a state of emergency from tomorrow

which will probably equal an nz level 3.5? 

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/04/06/national/japan-state-of-emergency-covid-19/

41 minutes ago, Black Panther said:

A few states, i think Ohio included, are calling on vets to join medical staff. 

Yet we new migrants who are qualified Doc/surgeons in there home country but NZ will not recognise them.But the call has been sent out to retired Doc/nurses to help if required

Always thought no matter what race the heart lungs etc were in the same place for all..

1 hour ago, harrytom said:

Yet we new migrants who are qualified Doc/surgeons in there home country but NZ will not recognise them.But the call has been sent out to retired Doc/nurses to help if required

Always thought no matter what race the heart lungs etc were in the same place for all..

I have posted this previously, there is the opportunity for foreign doctors to register, have their qualifications reviewed and possibly be issued a special certificate

https://www.homeguardnz.org/welcome-doctors/

by the way it is the same anywhere in the world in normal times for foreign doctors to have their credentials recognised, difficult at the best of times. NZ is one of the more straight forward countries, Australia much more difficult and Canada even more so again.

4 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

Several US states are moving toward random tests , , including Ohio where I live. 

https://www.cleveland19.com/2020/04/06/ohio-officials-begin-random-tests-determine-how-many-covid-cases-there-are-statewide/

We are way behind on this - should have been launched a month ago. 

Random tests of representative samples of the population are the ONLY way to tell with some accuracy if the numbers of those infected is

increasing, decreasing or flat - and much else. 

It's just not possible, or even very useful, to test everyone. (Not saying those with symptoms should not be tested also -they should) 

If we DON'T do this, we can never know with any real confidence when it's time to end the lockdowns 

Every day counts. (See also Norway, Iceland, Miami-Dade) 

(To be fair, accurate tests that can be self-administered and also look for anti-bodies are only just now coming on line) 

Informative article from the Miami Herald - good questions .  https://www.miamiherald.com/opinion/op-ed/article241800611.html

Thanks for that. It's a no brainier... Except for here.☹️

15 minutes ago, marinheiro said:

I have posted this previously, there is the opportunity for foreign doctors to register, have their qualifications reviewed and possibly be issued a special certificate

https://www.homeguardnz.org/welcome-doctors/

by the way it is the same anywhere in the world in normal times for foreign doctors to have their credentials recognised, difficult at the best of times. NZ is one of the more straight forward countries, Australia much more difficult and Canada even more so again.

Thanks. I suppose it is cost prohibitive for some new arrivals to re sit exams.But one would think or like to think that could work along side NZers see what we do and if the prove capable let them sit the exams at no cost or treat it like a student allowance,need to pay back gradually??

Bloomfield announced he will step up border control.

A bit slow on that. The Barn door has been open too long already.

Sending recent arrivals home to self isolate is like trusting young males to self test their blood alcohol level as they leave the pub in the car.

I give up - Skegg just advised the Select Committee that he believes Bloomfield had a "slip of the tongue" at yesterday's press conference and the number of tests for random testing to be useful is 10k not 100k.

On that basis - forget anything I wrote yesterday!

14 minutes ago, ScottiE said:

I give up - Skegg just advised the Select Committee that he believes Bloomfield had a "slip of the tongue" at yesterday's press conference and the number of tests for random testing to be useful is 10k not 100k.

On that basis - forget anything I wrote yesterday!

Skeggs is correct. Bloomfield needs a break...  Perhaps 6 months in Italy or Spain.