idlerboat

Corona virus statistics and reality

5 hours ago, harrytom said:

Thanks " ScottiE" had to google who the Uyghurs are,ended reading this.Which I thought was interesting,so many things happening behind closed doors in China,starting to really struggle as to why we deal with a country who has no respect for life.

http://theconversation.com/explainer-who-are-the-uyghurs-and-why-is-the-chinese-government-detaining-them-111843

But we suspend diplomatic relations with Fiji when Frank has a bloodless coup. Ludicrous.  

1 hour ago, Bad Kitty said:

But we suspend diplomatic relations with Fiji when Frank has a bloodless coup. Ludicrous.  

Only time we are of value to Fiji is in a crisis cyclones etc,rest of the time they buy their goods from Australia,fridges etc.well thats the way it use to be.

12 minutes ago, jim s said:

Those images have been debunked by

https://observers.france24.com/en/20200204-china-debunked-coronavirus-dogs-snakes-rats-bats-wuhan-market-indonesia

Also, right at the start of the video, the words ‘"Pasar EXTREAM Langowan" appear on the screen. We typed these words into an online search engine and ran a search for videos. Almost immediately, we pulled up a version of this same video posted on July 19, 2019, but with much better quality footage. The July 2019 posting says in the caption that it was filmed in Langowan, an area in Indonesia's North Sulawesi province.

Sorry all, I thought being an aussie source it would be relatively reliable. I , like so many, despair at the amount of rubbish that gets put up on the internet. Reliable info is one of the rarest things these days...

Austrailian MSM is worse than most! As for our own Stuff.  Their article about the woman who died with the Wuhan coronavirus in Greymouth Hospital yesterday is atrociaous and laughable for its lack of journalistic inteligence. Apparently it was written by their "Senior Crime Reporter"!

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/coronavirus/120665834/coronavirus-nzs-first-person-to-die-thought-she-had-a-head-cold

Here's some direct quotes from that article, ordered chronoligcally in terms of events to demonstrate it's idiocy. There's so many questions from this that I woudl be answers to before publishig but the push to publish any junk is overwhelming.  f this guy is a senior crime reporter then I'm an internationally acclaimed novelist!

The family member said she had chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, which caused asthma-like symptoms, but she was not in and out of hospital. 

"The last time she was in hospital was when her husband died in October. Guenole's husband, Peter Guenole, died suddenly in August last year after a virus made its way to his heart.

The woman had been admitted to hospital on Wednesday. Staff who first assessed her were in full personal protective equipment (PPE). However, because she did not initially meet the case definition for Covid-19 they removed their eye protection.

By Thursday night, Meates said the woman met the case definition and staff started wearing eye protection again while waiting for test results which came through on Saturday morning. The 21 staff who came into contact with her had been placed in self-isolation.

Grey Base Hospital has five ventilators, machines which help people breathe, and an isolation unit for Covid-19 patients. Guenole was not placed on a ventilator. It is not known if she was in the isolation unit.

to further reinforce my point about this woman dying with WCV rather than of WCV (in case it wasn't obvious) - the following article articulates far better than I the ridiculous situation we find ourselves in.  We currently have a bunch of computer programmers driving public health policy - rather than people who actually understand epidemiology or pathology.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/how-to-understand-and-report-figures-for-covid-19-deaths-

Its getting harder to believe China with every new news item coming out about the covid 19 death rate in Wuhan.

https://www.newsweek.com/wuhan-covid-19-death-toll-may-tens-thousands-data-cremations-shipments-urns-suggest-1494914

29/3/20

By subtracting the expected deaths of roughly 16,000 in Wuhan, based on China's annual death rate over two and a half months, they estimate that the urns show that the coronavirus outbreak could have resulted in approximately 26,000 deaths. It is currently unclear, however, how many of the urns have been used.

Math based on urns, assumptions and social media isn't anything to go by. But it offers one estimation of the city's real death figure and further lends credence to the skepticism held by many of the accuracy of the Chinese government's officially reported Wuhan COVID-19 death tally.

Random testing update - 

Norway has joined Iceland in launching randomized tests, and Miami-Dade county is doing it as well. 

Even the right wing National Review is on board  . . .https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/03/random-test-the-general-population-for-the-coronavirus/

I wish I had some clout . . . countries can really save time, money and lives by random testing. 

for once we agree! 

I had a mate up in the media as to why this hasn't been asked of our gumit here.  NZ seems to be as well place as any other country to start doing this.  His response was essentially that we don't have the resources. 

Instead we've carried out some 20k tests for 589 positives (3%) and still have no idea what sort of infection rate we are dealing with.  And now the "modellers" have just come out this morning as suggested "we calculate in plausible scenarios 8000 to 14000 (0.3% of pop.) deaths".  Compare that with 13.7k abortions each year in this country.  These numbers have halved in a few days based on unreliable data.