bigal.nz

On the bright side - Next project

With all the doom and gloom about Covid I thought it would be nice to have a thread to lighten the mood.

What are peoples next boat project?

We have a stackpack being built which I am super looking forward to since I am a lazy sailor and often just use the furling gib.

What are mods & improvements are next on everyones list?

1 minute ago, 44forty said:

This was finished on weds afternoon before the lockdown . It’s staying at the loft until I can pick up 😫 . Doing my head in , but at least I will have a very good reason to go sailing immediately the minute I’m allowed to .

24D41699-F356-42C9-8439-D7EA33C4152F.jpeg

That looks real nice. What sort of yacht is it for?

This one . It’s a Shaw 750 T . The old mainsail was not made for the boat it is a 2nd hand one off animal biscuits which is a 750 sport . Old main has had a long life of probably 8-10 years at a guess and is totally rooted .

New sail in the pic was built at UK sails in Fongaray by Phizzle and probably some help from Wal too . Cloth is DP PX black line 20 I think ? Bit heavier than needed but it will last a good while in that weight 

5795B464-EA3B-4CF8-A9D2-C91977636A5C.png

FE628A8A-9FE3-4986-B184-A92B9018AA1A.jpegWill post this here seeing5E2D6D0D-4C0B-4E5B-B6C2-78F45DC48D33.jpegCD175D69-21A8-4180-BD15-8B94AD0BF2CD.jpeg39AA1A4C-64B1-48C4-88C9-87C984C6C881.jpegas it’s going on right now in a backyard up here (pity the neighbours ) 

it’s an Elliot 650 that’s been stretched to 7.5 metres , maximum beam carried aft , bit a bottom booty job in the aft sections and cabin lopped off in favour of a turtle deck .

New rig is a blank carbon  melges section with homemade carbon spreaders made in two parts in molds . The standing rigging is going to be quite radical by the sounds of it and will be made at home too , in very exotic materials sourced from some very exotic locations .

the pics are from a couple of weeks ago . Hull is now flipped and the dust is flying as we speak . The builder is too busy to post on Internet forums so I’m doing it on their behalf . I won’t mention any names but I’m sure a few on here will guess pretty quickly who the builder is .

8D1AE029-D125-4A94-A0B2-6BE51C899A9D.jpeg

Just about finished a jump ramp for grandson for practicing trail riding/pushbike jumps on.

Next - finish nesting dinghy I started 10 months ago........

plus I 'inherited' a kitset pram dinghy that's been lying in a garage since 1979! 

If you've got any back copies of Sea Spray it's on page 62 of June 1979 edition :) A Jim Young design.

Just hope the epoxy supplies last..............

IMG_5949.JPG