On the bright side - Next project

It's all new ply.  9mm Meranti from Plytech https://www.plytech.co.nz/meranti-bs1088
The floor boards required 2 sheets of 2440 x 1220 for the Oliver Sudden.  I purchased 3 sheets, and using the 3rd sheet for other projects.   

Looked at a few options to replace the original Holy and Teak floors.  They were delaminating after 35 years of hard service.  They were beyond repair. 
9mm is probably marginal for floor boards, but adjusting the thickness required too many modifications.  So sticking with the 9mm and some carefully placed extra thickness / reinforcing.  

Looked at Holy and Teak, $1,000 a sheet.  Too pricing and the new veneer finish isn't gonna match the ages and sun-faded Teak trim on-board. 
Also looked at this recycable synthetic honeycomb from Plytech as an option too.  Would have been much quicker, albeit a little industrial looking. 

So tried a couple of other Marine ply samples and Meranti wasn't too bad.  A little bit darker / reddish than teak interior.   Thought I'd try to paint some lines as a nod to the old school Holy and Teak look. 

Here's the Process.... 

• Take the original floorboards and trace with a router with router bit and bearing / I used 10mm.  Simple, just take your time.  You want to line up the floor boards and grain.  
  • Marked out the exact location of the Holy Lines with a pencil.  They all line up, so this needs to be accurate.
  • 4 seal coats of Norski Epoxy Timber Sealer
  • Sanded and cleaned. 
  • Mask up the "Holy Lines" with masking tape.  I used a few and found ScotchBlue Sharp Lines to be the best.  
  • Painted the Holy Lines with 2 Pack White Under-coat.  
  • Try to get the White Lines done in a couple of days, otherwise the masking tape will be a PITA with residue.
  • Varnish 6 coats

For the varnish I used a Satin Single Pack I've used in the interior already.  I seems to be tough enough.  
I'm not a fan of buying from Bunnings and supporting the West Island, but this stuff seems good.  Bondall 1L Monocel Clear Satin Gold Marine Grade Timber Varnish.

I've been damn lucky with the fine weather for varnishing.  Hopefully it looks all good when we can finally get back onboard.  

Floor3.jpg

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Sudden5869 said:

There's only so many projects you can do with supply challenges.  
I'm glad I started the replacement floor boards just before lockdown.  Almost done. 

Looks bloody good. Nice job.

On 28/03/2020 at 1:48 PM, 44forty said:

This one . It’s a Shaw 750 T . The old mainsail was not made for the boat it is a 2nd hand one off animal biscuits which is a 750 sport . Old main has had a long life of probably 8-10 years at a guess and is totally rooted .

New sail in the pic was built at UK sails in Fongaray by Phizzle and probably some help from Wal too . Cloth is DP PX black line 20 I think ? Bit heavier than needed but it will last a good while in that weight 

5795B464-EA3B-4CF8-A9D2-C91977636A5C.png

Well thanks to 44forty, I've ended up with a new boat. Well, will have once I've figured it out how to get it from Queenstown to Whitianga. Things we do on lockdown.

Deep Purple 3.jpg

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, sjg20 said:

So this is my project, a Ross 490 that originally had a rotten floor. Most of the re-build was done late 2019, the wrap and prod is my ‘Covid Project’ - currently only have 200ml of epoxy left!94C4F4F1-EFCF-45DF-AEF2-FBCA860F1751.jpegFCB852CA-171E-46EA-9D20-9B45A32D3781.jpeg2CDE1F77-A700-4A74-8EAA-354A1C14FBAC.jpeg2B1A380C-4EBF-4174-85B6-98641A891787.jpeg8929248E-7D06-40EA-BFE7-F63A497C0093.jpeg3AD4FD0F-167D-4417-8B40-6F6D40E36A5A.jpeg

AFAB5067-59D9-4AEC-91B2-DF4674065CA2.jpeg

you Need to keep the bow monkey away from the black paint 

29 minutes ago, RushMan said:

A tie to stop the middle of the mast from bouncing too far might be worthwhile

Safe travels

Good point. There's a supporting bracket on the centreboard gantry but it's not in place in the picture. I'll follow that up. Thanks

11 hours ago, Deep Purple said:

Good point. There's a supporting bracket on the centreboard gantry but it's not in place in the picture. I'll follow that up. Thanks

Tie downs size could be a bit bigger for some added peace of mind.

Are you meeting half way?