Covid 19 and liveaboards

I moved the other thread to small talk. It's mostly political, and with my current limited internet too hard to split to two threads. So, this one is strictly for the marine side! Have at it.

I've had contact with the water police. Issues at barrier include raft ups and parties,  as well as expecting the local store to be available for them. It's not, and has much more limited provisions and supply chain than usual.

If you are out there,  dont be a muppet. You are, like the rest of us, quarantined to your boat. You must stay where you are except if unsafe to do so. If you are out of food or medical supplies, come home. Then STAY there. It's not rocket science!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3
6 minutes ago, Island Time said:

I moved the other thread to small talk. It's mostly political, and with my current limited internet too hard to split to two threads. So, this one is strictly for the marine side! Have at it.

Good call , the chairman mao caps and pipes were getting taken out of storage in the other thread 

Quietest day yet on the coast here , one yacht left Whangarei and on its current course it will go way outside the knights . Are boats able to clear out of customs at the moment ? 

and there is a large Riv or Maritomo very slowly heading south but close in so not gamefishing , probs trying to make it back to Auck on what diesel they have left .

Our marina has turned off electronic access to all berth holders except the licenced liveabords. Seems to be working well with minimal people about and not much happening apart from rain and a bit of snow on the tops. Keeps the risk if spread of the virus down.

I see MNZ have issued a message to all boaties to say don’t go out and to stay where you are if you are out. 

Perhaps some people just don’t see that they are possibly part of the spread of the virus by going somewhere different each day.

If anyone wants to know how their boat is in TeAna just say and I will have a look as long as it is on the same pier as me.

oh its raining again. 

I fail to see how moving Anchorage is a risk to spread the virus. Stay aboard, same as stay home. If you walk on the beach, social distance!

The only, imo very slight risk to moving,  is that you might hit something. Dont call for assistance,  fix it yourself. If you cant, too bad. If you feel sick, go home! If you dont have a home, and live aboard, go to the nearest main centre, dont put undue burden on small centers health systems.

It's pretty common sense really.

IT can you elaborate on your thoughts about the local store?

I have probably got a bit over 4 weeks food aboard, and was not expecting to nip up to the shop every few days for some sugar for my tea, but I didnt think calling in after 2 weeks to get some more fresh veg  / meat etc would cause them any harm? (distancing + mask and gloves)

my understanding was the govt was paying for supply flights and the island has no shortage on goods. 

Infact, I would have thought the tiny shopkeep could do with the economic relief of a few extra shoppers?

Food is essential, and so is travel to and from the nearest shop.. 

They normally have 14 flights a week for supplies.  Now they have two. They are not provisioned for anyone but locals...

And, some accounts have boaties reception ashore has been less than welcoming.  Others say it's all good, so I'm not sure.

Personally I'd not rely on anything from ashore.

1 hour ago, Winter said:

IT can you elaborate on your thoughts about the local store?

I have probably got a bit over 4 weeks food aboard, and was not expecting to nip up to the shop every few days for some sugar for my tea, but I didnt think calling in after 2 weeks to get some more fresh veg  / meat etc would cause them any harm? (distancing + mask and gloves)

my understanding was the govt was paying for supply flights and the island has no shortage on goods. 

Infact, I would have thought the tiny shopkeep could do with the economic relief of a few extra shoppers?

Food is essential, and so is travel to and from the nearest shop.. 

Sand spit or Mahurangi river  , then on to Warkworth new world would be the closest shop to there mate ,  or head home 

37 minutes ago, Island Time said:

They normally have 14 flights a week for supplies.  Now they have two. They are not provisioned for anyone but locals...

I’ll call you or your source out on this.  For this to be accurate, there would need to a significant number of visitors”normally” on the island at any one time - let’s say for the sake of argument, conservatively - five times the permanent population.  Either that or the local population are all fasting daily for Lent and have decided to extend it for the month!

46 minutes ago, ScottiE said:

I’ll call you or your source out on this.  For this to be accurate, there would need to a significant number of visitors”normally” on the island at any one time - let’s say for the sake of argument, conservatively - five times the permanent population.  Either that or the local population are all fasting daily for Lent and have decided to extend it for the month!

I would hazard a guess those two flights are mostly full of supplies and only the odd essential passenger , as opposed to mostly passengers and a portion of freight in normal times 

I'd also dispute what the source of that article says - I have a mate out there who reckons everyone hes seen has been well behaved. To many different stories to know what's real though....

1 hour ago, Island Time said:

I'd also dispute what the source of that article says - I have a mate out there who reckons everyone hes seen has been well behaved. To many different stories to know what's real though....

Agreed.  The typical MSM are no longer interested in spending time verifiying stories or sources because it’s more important to publish a sensational story and move on to the next disaster.  That culture pervades our own MO. I’ve been trying really hard since the beginning of last year to correct my own behaviour, partially successfully (or perhaps still failing depending on whether your an optimist or a realist!)

If I had run out of craft beer , wine , rum , gin , tonic , soft cheeses , smoked salmon , chips , real coffee , fresh milk, Avos, bacon , bread etc and had limited amounts of water and fuel left I’d be coming home too.

BP and the overseas cruisers do this sh*t all the time so they will be fine .

Most I've spoken with will comply with the rules, minimal movement, only back to restock when food or medicine runs low. Some, who have homes here, will return and stay ashore. Others have no choice but to go back out.