Covid 19 and liveaboards

Mate came back yesterday because the 14 days are up since he fly into the country and went straight away on the boat by himself

so there will be a bit of that happening in the next week

Some developments from the States around these issues from various sources.

All non residents were asked to leave Florida Keys last week.

That meant one Australian boat sailed 5 days to get to South Carolina to leave their boat outside the hurricane belt for insurance purposes.

Washington State has banned all fishing to "help meet isolation requirements"

Maine has waived fishing license requirements so people could get out and do something well away from crowds.......

2 hours ago, 44forty said:

If I had run out of craft beer , wine , rum , gin , tonic , soft cheeses , smoked salmon , chips , real coffee , fresh milk, Avos, bacon , bread etc and had limited amounts of water and fuel left I’d be coming home too.

BP and the overseas cruisers do this sh*t all the time so they will be fine .

I'm feeling guilty for having a good time. Trying to decide a reasonable time frame for re provisioning . In extremis we could survive for 3 months. But will run out of some treats in a couple weeks. Plus where to hit shore to do so.

Currently thinking to hang on till about week 3 and if it looks like extending then a big shopping expedition. 

I just came back form an emergency electrical job where I had to test the batteries of a guys home Solar system. Yes we maintained our separation requirements and I washed my hands afterwards.
I could not believe the number of Businesses flouting the law and the number of Campervans on the road. I am exactly 10Kms from Blenheim and I passed a total of four Campervans on the way in and two on the way home. I passed a Vegetable market open with many shoppers around bins of produce.

The Gvt is now considering that this 4 week lockdown may have to extend to at least 6 weeks. I actually think they had that in mind from the get go anyway and just want to ease us all itnot the idea slowly. At the same time, they are considering letting more businesses open as "essential". Kind of defeats the situation in my view.

So you guys out on your Boats, perhaps you might want to consider rationing as you might end up having to be out there much longer then you all thought you would have to be.

You are still allowed to go to the supermarket, B.o.I. anchor off the treaty grounds, dinghy to the pahia side of the bridge, short walk to Countdown and back. The only person you will be putting in danger is yourself, as long as you have been isolated onboard for the prescribed 14 days. Of course then you will need another 14 days to see if the restocking trip has exposed you.

2 minutes ago, Steve Pope said:

You are still allowed to go to the supermarket, B.o.I. anchor off the treaty grounds, dinghy to the pahia side of the bridge, short walk to Countdown and back. The only person you will be putting in danger is yourself, as long as you have been isolated onboard for the prescribed 14 days. Of course then you will need another 14 days to see if the restocking trip has exposed you.

That’s right. This risk is that IF you are exposed you’ll find out on the water - possibly a good distance from practical help.

I've always said, and practiced, that I am responsible for myself when I am out sailing, I don't wish to rely or risk anyone else in the choices I make. Unfortunately with our dumbing down of self reliance and common sense, many folk just don't have the ability of thinking things through and having the belief in themselves to to be able to cope.

Re' the campervans for many that is their current home, they have nowhere to go,  with camping grounds etc. being closed, Visitors with flights being constantly cancelled etc., everything is an evolving situation, decisions made yesterday with the best of intentions will be overturned today because of unintended consequences that the decision makers were unaware of at the time. Simple one, halal butcheries, or for that matter ordinary butcheries in towns that don't have super markets.

14 minutes ago, Aleana said:

That’s right. This risk is that IF you are exposed you’ll find out on the water - possibly a good distance from practical help.

That is a risk you take, after all life is a risk, we are always only 1 breath away from not being here

15 minutes ago, Aleana said:

Then you are a muppet. It's common sense to stay within reach of help at a main centre, until at least until you are 14 days in lockdown.

1 hour ago, wheels said:

I just came back form an emergency electrical job where I had to test the batteries of a guys home Solar system. Yes we maintained our separation requirements and I washed my hands afterwards.
I could not believe the number of Businesses flouting the law and the number of Campervans on the road. I am exactly 10Kms from Blenheim and I passed a total of four Campervans on the way in and two on the way home. I passed a Vegetable market open with many shoppers around bins of produce.

The Gvt is now considering that this 4 week lockdown may have to extend to at least 6 weeks. I actually think they had that in mind from the get go anyway and just want to ease us all itnot the idea slowly. At the same time, they are considering letting more businesses open as "essential". Kind of defeats the situation in my view.

So you guys out on your Boats, perhaps you might want to consider rationing as you might end up having to be out there much longer then you all thought you would have to be.

Wheels - I believe there are 10,000 overseas tourists stranded here not able to get home - obviously some in campervans and from what I am hearing they are being turned away from all the usual places they would go so I imagine some of those are just looking for an option of somewhere to stay .  It would be a horrible situation to be in and I personally believe that not all the campervans on the road are trying to violate the lock down but just desperate !   

ps. I am not a campervan owner ..lol

Re the Campervans, they are not allowed to Travel. They are supposed to be in a Campground or a designated area where they are allowed to be. We are now several days into this lockdown and they should all be somewhere by now. They were supposed to be in those lockdown areas by the time Lockdown took effect. But they are not allowed to leave that area once there. Campgrounds have been allowed to take them in and then the gates were supposed to be locked. So in theory a Campervan traveling today would have no actual place to go. I don't think they are allowing Freedom camping either.
The reason why Alcohol is allowed to be sold by the Licensing trusts, is because they do not want people to travel outside of their area to buy alcohol. Thus that same reason of stopping travel applies to Campervans etc. They don't want them traveling around. Even getting a Rental Car is restricted to needs of essential business only.

On 29/03/2020 at 4:34 PM, Island Time said:

They normally have 14 flights a week for supplies.  Now they have two. They are not provisioned for anyone but locals...

And, some accounts have boaties reception ashore has been less than welcoming.  Others say it's all good, so I'm not sure.

Personally I'd not rely on anything from ashore.

You have a bread maker on board IT?

3 hours ago, ex TL systems said:

When we lived aboard in Australia we caught rain water. Never ran out or had to get water from shore. Around:200 litre storage and a lot simpler than a water maker. 

Looking at Metvuw , you might be in luck by Good Friday