Island Time

Covid 19 and liveaboards

So, we've been anchored in Mahurangi for nearly a month.  At some stage we will need to fill up with water, which I can do easily at Gulf Harbour.  I don't want to take up valuable police time so I think I should ask someone for permission for the obviously perilous trip through Tiri Channel.  But who?  Harbourmaster actually has authority I think?  Coastguard (prefer not to ask them anything too difficult)? Police? Maritime New Zealand? (joking)

Does anyone know or are we all guessing?

6 hours ago, Dtwo said:

So, we've been anchored in Mahurangi for nearly a month.  At some stage we will need to fill up with water, which I can do easily at Gulf Harbour.  I don't want to take up valuable police time so I think I should ask someone for permission for the obviously perilous trip through Tiri Channel.  But who?  Harbourmaster actually has authority I think?  Coastguard (prefer not to ask them anything too difficult)? Police? Maritime New Zealand? (joking)

I would talk to both HM and Police Maritime unit. After you have filled with water they may put restrictions on how far you can then go (nearest safe anchorage). I have heard reports that those coming back from the barrier are not allowed to go out again.

8 hours ago, Dtwo said:

Maritime police. email or phone. pm me if you need the #. 

They are happy to answer questions like this.

8 minutes ago, Winter said:

Maritime police. email or phone. pm me if you need the #. 

They are happy to answer questions like this.

Agree with Winter on this - we had a issue the other day and the Maritime Police were reasonable and helpful.

Several hundred offshore cruisers in the Eastern Pacific worried they will need to escape cyclone season come October November. 

But this years class won't be leaving. So pressure on facilities  even if they are allowed in  .

Im sure a lot of marine businesses in the north will want them here.

Also another report of a boat literally wandering western Indian Ocean and Red sea trying to find a place to go.