Westhaven berth lease expiry 2026

I’m looking into purchasing a berth at Westhaven, and the license expires in 2026. Can anyone tells me what happens at that point? Do we lose all rights and have to purchase at full market value again? Will Westhaven just take over the berths and keep them for rental? If either of these are correct, then some people are asking way too much for their licenses to occupy.

I heard they are having a re think about possibly renewing licences. Reason being they need funding for the pile area extension and if they do not sell licences then they will have to find the money somewhere else - which council does not have due to the huge blow out on the City Rail Link.

You just need to hope that "David Seymour"Act party has no influence in the council.Went to fishing Symposium a few yrs ago and the first thing that came out of his mouth was"You lot regardless of size of boat, you are all rich pricks so must pay".

First time I have ever heard speak at a public event then he got up and left.

11 minutes ago, harrytom said:

You just need to hope that "David Seymour"Act party has no influence in the council.Went to fishing Symposium a few yrs ago and the first thing that came out of his mouth was"You lot regardless of size of boat, you are all rich pricks so must pay".

First time I have ever heard speak at a public event then he got up and left.

He's right, if you have a boat in West Haven you are Rich....   And maybe a prick?....

You have to be to afford a berth and this means the council and Auckland benefit from the rich pricks and there boats.

Let's face it if you own a house in Auckland your are a millionaire... In some people's eyes that's rich.

4 minutes ago, Sailing NZ said:

He's right, if you have a boat in West Haven you are Rich....   And maybe a prick?....

You have to be to afford a berth and this means the council and Auckland benefit from the rich pricks and there boats.

Let's face it if you own a house in Auckland your are a millionaire... In some people's eyes that's rich.

He also included in that statement,Mum/Dad with 10ft tinny.

We were renting privately and the license holder wanted to sell.  At that point we would have had to go on the waiting list to stay in the marina, so we bought it.  We just thought of it as the capitalised cost of the rental (taking account of the OPEX charge).  For us it worked out cheaper than renting over the same time period (using a discounted cashflow approach).  No estimate of whether we would continue to lease/rent etc.

1 hour ago, Sailing NZ said:

Don't see many 10ft tinnies on berth at westhaven.

I know,but that is just how  he viewed anyone who owned a vessel or sails/fishes etc Plenty of Camper vans etc worth more.Hes a twat.On the other side was Eugenie Sage saying govt must value our recreational habits(supports).

2 minutes ago, marinheiro said:

Different market, I think they are all 20m+

Possibly, I’d heard 16m and up, surprising how the market drops when any new berths come on stream but within a 12 months they are all gone and demand dictates price again 

41 minutes ago, KM... said:

Just got back from the job of fixing the result of Westhavens latest free bonus for it's berth holders, rampant and very aggressive electrolysis.

Hmm, electrolysis. Beware of anyone who uses that term! It's either stray current corrosion, or Galvanic Corrosion. There are big and important differences.

In a marina the size of Westhaven, there WILL be multiple boats leaking electricity into the water. Mostly it will be DC, but although the DC is the issue for corrosion, the AC is worse because it can kill.  Read up on electric shock drownings if you wish.

Of course all electricity requires a circuit to do anything.  This is why you need a galvanic isolator or isolating transformer on your boat, so your neighbor's crap boat does not use up your zincs, then eat your underwater metals. Either isolator  blocks the circuit to the mains earth so that you are not part of the circuit shared with other boats thru the shore power lead. The safety earth still works. 

Cheap insurance, and can pay for themselves in zinc savings. Stray current corrosion is what can rapidly remove your underwater metals. Galvanic corrosion is slow.

True "Hot Marinas" are very rare in NZ, almost always an issue on a boat is from that boat.....

Lest you characters are led astray or confused as same may be from what ive heard recently , the nett result of the current changes at westhaven are 38 less berths from the old berths and piles mix. Dont worry these figures came from Panuku at a meeting where I was present.

The new berths are for 50' and up craft and multihulls, as these owners are happy to pay whatever and cant row and require to be plugged in.

In many ways it is the same as a fisherman upsizing, better return for less fish.

48 minutes ago, waikiore said:

Lest you characters are led astray or confused as same may be from what ive heard recently , the nett result of the current changes at westhaven are 38 less berths from the old berths and piles mix. Dont worry these figures came from Panuku at a meeting where I was present.

The new berths are for 50' and up craft and multihulls, as these owners are happy to pay whatever and cant row and require to be plugged in.

In many ways it is the same as a fisherman upsizing, better return for less fish.

It is remarkable how obtuse the publicly available info about the extension is. All I can discover is that there will 113 new berths in the Pile redevelopment area (from a Panuku youtube), no mention of sizes. The Westhaven website takes you to a glossy lightweight document dated 2013

This was in Pacific Powerboat mag

To help alleviate the shortage of pontoon berths, Westhaven Marina have plans to retire all the old pile moorings in favour of 84 new pontoon berths. The development will use existing marina water space more effectively and includes 40 x 20m, 39 x 24m and 5 x catamaran berths. The initial construction is for AA pier only with 42 berths, with AB pier to be built late next year subject to funding approval.

Corrosion;

OK, let me make this real clear. For a boat to be damaged by corrosion it has to be part of a circuit. That circuit can be via the water, and out of and back into  (via the water) different bits of immersed metal on the boat. The least noble bit of metal will corrode. That's why anodes are sacrificial anodes, so nothing important is trashed.

You are electrically linked to all other boats on the dock (thru the water), and to the dock itself if it has metal immersed. That is one arm of a potential circuit. The other common arm, completing the circuit, is often the shore power cable earth, hence causing issues when plugged in. This is not necessarily a problem on the dock, but it can be.

If you have no shore power lead, or are protected with a working galvanic isolator or isolating transformer, and you still have corrosion issues, the problem is on your boat as  there is only one connection to the shore (the water), not a circuit.