Rangi1

Westhaven berth lease expiry 2026

I’m looking into purchasing a berth at Westhaven, and the license expires in 2026. Can anyone tells me what happens at that point? Do we lose all rights and have to purchase at full market value again? Will Westhaven just take over the berths and keep them for rental? If either of these are correct, then some people are asking way too much for their licenses to occupy.

I heard they are having a re think about possibly renewing licences. Reason being they need funding for the pile area extension and if they do not sell licences then they will have to find the money somewhere else - which council does not have due to the huge blow out on the City Rail Link.

You just need to hope that "David Seymour"Act party has no influence in the council.Went to fishing Symposium a few yrs ago and the first thing that came out of his mouth was"You lot regardless of size of boat, you are all rich pricks so must pay".

First time I have ever heard speak at a public event then he got up and left.

11 minutes ago, harrytom said:

You just need to hope that "David Seymour"Act party has no influence in the council.Went to fishing Symposium a few yrs ago and the first thing that came out of his mouth was"You lot regardless of size of boat, you are all rich pricks so must pay".

First time I have ever heard speak at a public event then he got up and left.

He's right, if you have a boat in West Haven you are Rich....   And maybe a prick?....

You have to be to afford a berth and this means the council and Auckland benefit from the rich pricks and there boats.

Let's face it if you own a house in Auckland your are a millionaire... In some people's eyes that's rich.

4 minutes ago, Sailing NZ said:

He's right, if you have a boat in West Haven you are Rich....   And maybe a prick?....

You have to be to afford a berth and this means the council and Auckland benefit from the rich pricks and there boats.

Let's face it if you own a house in Auckland your are a millionaire... In some people's eyes that's rich.

He also included in that statement,Mum/Dad with 10ft tinny.

15 hours ago, Rangi1 said:

I’m looking into purchasing a berth at Westhaven, and the license expires in 2026. Can anyone tells me what happens at that point? Do we lose all rights and have to purchase at full market value again? Will Westhaven just take over the berths and keep them for rental? If either of these are correct, then some people are asking way too much for their licenses to occupy.

I'd be very cautious and NOT believe anything at the moment, even from the Westhaven office itself. As good as the staff are in there they are Grade A Mushrooms and none of the decisions are made by them. They, Panuku, have been talking all berths will be rentals only but 2 weeks ago there was some discussion of selling leases for 10, 20 and even some 50 years terms to get the money honey. Auckland city is flat broke and Westhaven is one of the few money generators the council has and via Panuku they intend to squeeze every cent they can from the users of it. If that means breaking the laws, their own laws, then no problem they will and indeed they have. But as we understand it at this stage there is no set plan for what will happen when all the leases run out, that includes the 3 Trusts that Westhaven itself comes under. But that's not to say Panuku management haven't got one, we strongly believe they have but they just aren't saying.

There are some signs some of the secrecy Panuku veils over itself is coming down but it's still not an organisation you'd turn your back on or trust, it's dangerous and verging on being rouge.

So the answer to your question of what is going to happen is one of these -

A - No one knows as yet it's still a work in progress

B - the tiny handful who make the calls have made one and aren't talkin.

We were renting privately and the license holder wanted to sell.  At that point we would have had to go on the waiting list to stay in the marina, so we bought it.  We just thought of it as the capitalised cost of the rental (taking account of the OPEX charge).  For us it worked out cheaper than renting over the same time period (using a discounted cashflow approach).  No estimate of whether we would continue to lease/rent etc.