Marina Management

Here's an email I got from my marina.

Madame, Monsieur,

Nous vous informons qu'en raison du coup de vent de Nord Est enregistré ces dernières heures, une ronde a été effectuée ce jour par le personnel technique des marinas sur l'ensemble des deux ports de plaisance (Moulin Blanc et Château), à flot et à terre.

Quelques amarrages ont dû être repris mais nous n'avons pas enregistré de dégâts particuliers.

Malgré les obligations de confinement auxquelles nous sommes tous confrontés, nous restons vigilants afin que la surveillance des marinas soit réalisée dans les meilleures conditions possibles dans ce contexte si particulier.

Chaque soir et chaque nuit, un rondier intervient sur les deux marinas. Une surveillance via la vidéo est également réalisée à distance.

Dans l'attente de vous revoir très vite sur les pontons, nous vous souhaitons bon courage pour passer ce cap difficile.

Bien cordialement,

Which roughly translates as:

There was a gale, we checked everything and secured a few boats.

There was no damage.

At this time, we have remote surveillance and we also check everything 2x a day,  because we know you guys can't, so please don't worry.

Hope to see you all again soon.

How're NZ marinas handling the lockdown?

They are still taking my money....

In all seriousness westhaven still has dockmasters and security onsite, plus the liveaboards down my end going for their morning walk will probably keep an eye out for issues as well.

All in all I'm pretty comfortable I'll be informed if there is anything essential which actually needs attention

Remember, you are renting a Hole in the Water. You may think the extra services are there for the Berth Holder, but in reality, they are not. They are there to maintain smooth operation of the Marina, not necessarily a service to the Berth Holder. So don't expect any reduction in Marina Fees. One would assume, but we all know who we are dealing with, so don't expect.

The first UK Marina has just written to all berth holders to say no fees to be charged during lockdown, given it’s closed with no access to services etc.

Call through to the management at Westhaven Marina office regarding access to retrieve essential supplies and check on boats welfare was met with a curt reply that although they frowned on but could not prevent this happening after pointedly mentioning they did not have access to handcuffs and powers of arrest.

Must of been a case of wishful thinking by the same over zealous employee I and my wife have previously encountered in the past. 

Had a nice call from Westhaven staff today asking if there was anything they could check on/do on my yacht.

After asking whether they'd mind sanding the brightwork and applying a  few coats of varnish (they refused - how rude😀 ) I thanked them for calling.

Nice to know they're still on the ball.

With all due respect, some of you on this thread, and others, seem to have a very jaundiced view of Westhaven staff. I've had a yacht at Westhaven for 15 years and the staff have been nothing but courteous and helpful. If approached properly.

And bear in mind the staff down there are also under pressure at the moment. Maybe a bit of leeway needs to be given, everyone has a rough day every now and then.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just had an email from my marina. Sulfur Point Tauranga. Locking everyone out from 6.00pm. Sunday. I wonder how my insurance is affected if I can't check my boat. I'm sure the marina society won't be keen to cover any claims over stolen property

Hi Skyewater,

The email from Sulphur Point Marina also points out that staff are walking the jetties regularly checking for problems which is probably more attention than a lot of boats normally  get. It also gives a couple of phone numbers to call if you have a real concern and access will be arranged in an emergency.

On 6/04/2020 at 8:21 AM, waikiore said:

If sulphur point has prevented you from accessing your own vessel then they have also taken on the responsibility for its wellbeing and with it the insurance implications.

Hey Waikiore, sorry to butt in, but I PM'ed you the other day, so you probably haven't seen the red marker at top right of your screen on the front page of the forums.

Its just a query I had about a Contessa you auctioned off many years ago....wondering if it's my one!  I go into more detail in the PM.

Cheers mate

Zozza

On 2/04/2020 at 10:13 PM, Aleana said:

The first UK Marina has just written to all berth holders to say no fees to be charged during lockdown, given it’s closed with no access to services etc.

I'm waiting for that email from my French marina....

We just got an email that the City of Zürich will reimburse parents who have taken their kids out of crèche during the pandemic (to leave more room for those who don't have the option to care for their kids as they still have to work). We still pay at the moment, but the city will pay us all back. Apparently they're still going through the motions of figuring out if the state or federal government will reimburse them, but the city are going it alone for the moment... It's nice because it's nearly 3k a month per kid for crèche. 

Don't know where the story came from about chains on Sulphur Point gates but it is completely wrong, the gates are closed and locked electronically as normally happens every night of the year. All berth-holders received 2 days notice that this would happen as did anyone else authorized to use the marina. If someone needs access all they have to do is email or telephone as per the notice.