Sailing NZ

The positives of the Covid19 virus

28 minutes ago, ScottiE said:

The statistics quoted by the govt. are becoming increasingly pointless as time goes by and yet - like ground hog day we'll get the same crap again that we got yesterday.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-zealand/2020/04/coronavirus-new-zealand-not-flattening-the-curve-during-covid-19-crisis.html 

Director-General Dr Ashley Bloomfield announced 89 new cases on Thursday which is the most recorded in a single day.

"I think the 89 cases today shows that [we are not flattening the curve]. I think it's the highest number of single cases we've had in a day and so it is on the up," Bloomfield said.

That's interesting, so we increased the number of tests, and widened the criteria for testing - and then the number of positives went up! But bugger me if the number of negatives also went up!  I wonder how many positives we would get if we instead reduced the testing down. to. say . . . . zero . . . hmmm. Now that would really flatten the curve!  Today we'll hear of an increase in cases - mostly due to an increase in the number of tests -and the fact that something like  50 infected people are day are still arrived here - of not flattening the curve - and of a need to impose more restrictions - and of a likely increase in the lockdown period because we haven't been behaving ourselves.

Without random testing the current positive test results serve no useful statistical purpose any longer.  It's now becoming increasingly apparent the we don't have the resources in the field to carry out the testing programme we need to.  The 4000-5000 capacity is a malfiescent misrepresentation of the truth.  It only refers to laboratory capacity not to the actual sampling.  

The other thing that cracks me up is that the media have gone back to "hockey stick graphs here" - the log graphs are not nearly as scary as they used to be!

test.png

more? the views are to die for when out walking - the air is as clear as a bell!

People you meet and pass, smile at you.

It might teach us that money is NOT the be all and end all. Allowing a cruise ship to berth in Napier - and letting 1000 tourists go sightseeing? We might even become more self sufficent and buy local.

and- for those who invest in the share market- buy shares in maternity wear and baby clothes before next Christmas!

6 minutes ago, alibaba said:

more? the views are to die for when out walking - the air is as clear as a bell!

People you meet and pass, smile at you.

It might teach us that money is NOT the be all and end all. Allowing a cruise ship to berth in Napier - and letting 1000 tourists go sightseeing? We might even become more self sufficent and buy local.

and- for those who invest in the share market- buy shares in maternity wear and baby clothes before next Christmas!

😁

7 minutes ago, Black Panther said:

Time to change the name of this thread. I suggest Whining Morons Who Just Want to Complain No Matter What. 

That's just small talk in general at the moment isn't it?