lateral

Infrared thermometers

Bought one of these, a cheapy +_1.5% accuracy. Benetech GM320

Needed to know various acceptable temps on different part of motor/ drive train for reference.

Shoot it at forehead reads 34°C  ??

I expected the % accuracy may vary at end of scales, but near middle wouldn't have thought so.

Do you need a particular kind for human flesh testing?

Yet when I point it at motor thermistor on Cyl head which reads 15.1°C on its own gauge its dead accurate.

Any experience out there?

I've got one as well, it's also a WhoFlungDung wearing a pretty dress as yours appears to be. Digitech it says so I must have got it at Jaycar but most I've seen are the same just different brand names.

I have put mine against a range of known solid datums and found it is within 1 degree everytime, often less. To be honest that did surprise me for cheap as chips grade gear.

I have noticed though it is very targeted so when aiming at a variable temp object moving the dot/s even a few mm can get a reading change. With that in mind I would strongly suggest if you want to line it up next to your motors Temp gauge you do try to see exactly where the gauge is reading or you run the risk of measurement checking a few mm or more away which could easily show a different temp and blow your faith in one of the bits of measuring equipment.

A mate, one of the most ugliest buggers you'll find, built me a temp controlled bed for my resins which holds them at a set temp. I'm now using that bed to germinate a few trees so have been checking the temp of it. In doing that I have noticed when I check on a pile of dribbled resin that is enough to make a small reading change compared to the clean material next to it. I can also see exactly where the embedded heating elements are due to subtle temp changes on the surface. So again it shows they can be very sensitive which makes it even more imperative that you measure the exact same spot if you are doing a head to head comparison.

Surely it would be self evident, the genus would be 'Gougeonis Brois' and the species 'Westis' of course ;)

It's a 600mm x 600mm x 100mm block of concrete (bedding compound to be precise) with a wire out the back that sits at a set temp. It stops your resins going very thick in colder weather so they pour, mix and most importantly cure far more consistently. I'm using it to provide a constant temp during the germination process of my trees, whose real genus is an Illicium.

25 minutes ago, Knot Me... maybe said:

I've got one as well, it's also a WhoFlungDung wearing a pretty dress as yours appears to be. Digitech it says so I must have got it at Jaycar but most I've seen are the same just different brand names.

I have put mine against a range of known solid datums and found it is within 1 degree everytime, often less. To be honest that did surprise me for cheap as chips grade gear.

I have noticed though it is very targeted so when aiming at a variable temp object moving the dot/s even a few mm can get a reading change. With that in mind I would strongly suggest if you want to line it up next to your motors Temp gauge you do try to see exactly where the gauge is reading or you run the risk of measurement checking a few mm or more away which could easily show a different temp and blow your faith in one of the bits of measuring equipment.

A mate, one of the most ugliest buggers you'll find, built me a temp controlled bed for my resins which holds them at a set temp. I'm now using that bed to germinate a few trees so have been checking the temp of it. In doing that I have noticed when I check on a pile of dribbled resin that is enough to make a small reading change compared to the clean material next to it. I can also see exactly where the embedded heating elements are due to subtle temp changes on the surface. So again it shows they can be very sensitive which makes it even more imperative that you measure the exact same spot if you are doing a head to head comparison.

Thanks for that.

Seems pretty accurate at low end but only reads 90°C pointing into boiling water, so wondering if it has a scaling error .

Or it doesn't like liquid target as opposed metal?

I will take truck for a blat up the hill and get it hot for reference against engine guardian temp gauge.

Yip, on the hotbox. But sold mine with the shed, lifting gear, cradle. Bugga.

Wanted to keep the lot, but got the ultimatum.

Shed at home is already,  "Enter at your own peril,  avalanche risk + high".

22 minutes ago, lateral said:

Thanks for that.

Seems pretty accurate at low end but only reads 90°C pointing into boiling water, so wondering if it has a scaling error .

Or it doesn't like liquid target as opposed metal?

I will take truck for a blat up the hill and get it hot for reference against engine guardian temp gauge.

Yip, on the hotbox. But sold mine with the shed, lifting gear, cradle. Bugga.

Wanted to keep the lot, but got the ultimatum.

Shed at home is already,  "Enter at your own peril,  avalanche risk + high".

I have reason to suspect they may struggle a bit with liquids, the clearer the liquids are the more it struggles. Mine comes in low when aiming at the water itself but reads as expected when you hit everything the water is touching.

Yeah do a before and after run check...maybe a check at the top of the hill as well.

some years back doing industrial maintenance work i noticed the surface finish of the target seemed to affect the reading, and possibly the aiming angle but square on to a uniform machined surface gave consistent and believable results.

The key to accurate readings is to make sure you have the correct 'emistivity' value setup in the settings. Metals, rock, water, skin all have different values. That would explain the observed differences.