lateral

SUP carbon paddle repair

Where is it broken?

I repaired a dragon boat paddle that had been run over...

50mm Kevlar tape front and back, long lengths of carbon strand wrapped around every 100mm for a contrast, PVC electrical tape wrapped around to squeeze excess resin out and keep it all in place. The choice of tape was based on what was in my box of fibreglass stuff.

Rough and dirty fix so I can use it on the Hobie 18 when the wind dies.  It lives under the tramp just in front of the rear beam.

Added bonus.. the original owner of the paddle became my crew on the Hobie

Snapped at the cervix.

Now ya talking. :thumbup: Got kevlar aviation glass (tight weave) Hard to wet out tho. That carbon tube sleeve material looks perfect.

Got peel ply, which I was going to tape at one end and spiral wrap it to get the excess out.

Just keeping it lined up will be fun. Maybe weld  a support, with of two pieces of channel for each end.

Will keep electrical tape on hand as backup

Just been told here: * No swimming,surfing,fishing,hunting, tramping.......

12 hours ago, lateral said:

I'm not waster like x% of the planet.

Repair, recycle, make it work where ever possible.

Obvious thats not on your agenda.

??.. but you are a waster and a polluter by repairing it. Your wasting time, product, usiing solvents to clean up and for what....  To repair a carbon paddle that are made in the millions despite your nobel efforts to fix one.

The manufacturers production processes will be more efficient and less wastefull for a whole paddle than your repair efforts

Also with repairs this small you generally buy more product than you need... So you are adding to the waste and environmental pollution.

If you want save the planet, don't buy composite toys, build one yourself out of renewables such as wood.

I think it's admirable that you want to repair it, I would have done the same thing yrs ago, but with so much waste in the world uncontrolled, your one repair is but a drop in the ocean..

Then what do you do when it breaks again? Repair or replace?

16 minutes ago, 44forty said:

Send me your new boat when it breaks ! 

A $300k boat is a Bit different to a $100 paddle.

And if your paying more than $100 you are being fleeced. 

1 hour ago, Sailing NZ said:

Your wasting time, product, usiing solvents to clean up and for what....  To repair a carbon paddle that are made in the millions despite your nobel efforts to fix one.

Also with repairs this small you generally buy more product than you need... So you are adding to the waste and environmental pollution.

If you want save the planet, don't buy composite toys, build one yourself out of renewables such as wood.

I

* I built my boat (re). I have learn't to be extremely economic with cleaners/solvent. (vinegar , & acetone)

*I mostly have the materials. My left overs get used.

*The paddle was given to me broken. It was heading for tip.

*Can't argue with last point.