Boating now heavily restricted

8 hours ago, dutyfree said:

This is a massive intrusion into our human rights.  If we are maintaining recommended distancing then there should be no impediment.  We have many weeks to go yet.

The higher the alert levels, the less rights you have. This is not some form of sinister Gvt control of the People however. It is about keeping the Public safe in a time of crises. You yourself might maintain safe minimum distances, but as already displayed by those in the far North, many simply disobey the Rules. They treat it as a joke. So the entire fight to control this outbreak falls over. The result could well affect you with the Gvt having to continue of the lockdown period. Of which I personally do not want, so we all have to just suck it up and grin and bare it.

• Upvote 6

As a society we have had plenty of chances to show we can be responsible. We fail constantly. We deserve to be locked into our houses and not let out. 

By ‘we’ i mean people in general. Not me, not you probably. In fact prob less than 5% of the population, but those knobs will still destroy the potential gains of the lockdown. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, dutyfree said:

And causing what problem?

This is a massive intrusion into our human rights.  If we are maintaining recommended distancing then there should be no impediment.  We have many weeks to go yet.

What about the rest of the country that doesn’t have the gulf on the door step ? Or a boat in the marina ?  Fark no wonder there is great disdain for Aucklanders and larger boat owners 

Ya cannot be using ya boat if there is a chance of being rescued!?!?

Ya can drive ya car and no problem!?!?

ya can buy booze get sloshed ... No worries!?

What be more of a chance of filling the hospitals?

Go figure!

• Upvote 1
33 minutes ago, Clipper said:

As a society we have had plenty of chances to show we can be responsible. We fail constantly. We deserve to be locked into our houses and not let out. 

By ‘we’ i mean people in general. Not me, not you probably. In fact prob less than 5% of the population, but those knobs will still destroy the potential gains of the lockdown. 

Agree, that's where 90% of the laws, reg, and rules come from.

Idiots ruin it for all.

But seriously...

The policing if boaties will require all police maritime resources and coastguard vessels to be active...

Which means more people on the water being exposed  ...

I think they are after the plonkers on hjet skis, kite surfers, fizz boats and wakas with no life jackets..

57 minutes ago, Sailing NZ said:

But seriously...

The policing if boaties will require all police maritime resources and coastguard vessels to be active...

Which means more people on the water being exposed  ...

I think they are after the plonkers on hjet skis, kite surfers, fizz boats and wakas with no life jackets..

Seriously?

if you’d listened to, or read anything properly, you would know that the police don’t intend to do anything different other than their normal patrols, which are just as much about protecting vacant private property as lockdown compliance.  These new “instructions” are actually a result of a new Public Health Order that AB issued yesterday.  By doing this, he is able, by his legislated power, to provide the police the authority to enforce this order to stay at home whenever practicable.  Ie. they can now ask you to go home, if you don’t, they can now arrest you, fine you, and then drop you home. Previously they couldn’t without declaring that they suspected you have The Wuhan Coronavirus which, as you can imagine, has a far worse set of repercussions.

seriously 

15 minutes ago, ScottiE said:

Seriously?

if you’d listened to, or read anything properly, you would know that the police don’t intend to do anything different other than their normal patrols, which are just as much about protecting vacant private property as lockdown compliance.  These new “instructions” are actually a result of a new Public Health Order that AB issued yesterday.  By doing this, he is able, by his legislated power, to provide the police the authority to enforce this order to stay at home whenever practicable.  Ie. they can now ask you to go home, if you don’t, they can now arrest you, fine you, and then drop you home. Previously they couldn’t without declaring that they suspected you have The Wuhan Coronavirus which, as you can imagine, has a far worse set of repercussions.

seriously 

Seriously...

What the police say they are doing and what they actually do, as your know, never quite line up. ( Read previous posts in context to mine )

Also what is reported in the presser is not necessarily an accurate assessment of what the police intend to do and actually will do.

If it was Hone pushing the envelope of the law, then they will do nothing except smoke the peace pipe and share joke.

But.. one jet ski idiot and the police have the power to " nail any boaties ass to the wall"  even if they are just motoring to a wharf to pick up supplies.

The powers of the police are more powerful than you think and open to interpretation at a individual police officer level, rightly or wrongly. 

With current comms confusion I would not be second guessing anything.

Personally I didn’t understand why yesterday’s announcement was labelled as ‘new laws’ in respect of boating. Because to me it wasn’t new news - it was a re-statement of the same notice that was issued to all mariners just before lockdown by the harbourmaster (and which was widely circulated by numerous marine bodies sometimes with their own extra spin eg CG, all the marinas, insurers etc). But I heard the message loud and clear before lockdown-down, namely non-essential / recreational boating by non-liveaboards is against the rules ie against the law during L4!

It’s pretty simple. If you normally reside in a house you should be there now. If instead you are in your boat, camper van, holiday home then you are breaking the regulations and as far as I’m concerned you should be put in jail and the key thrown away. I’m happy to assist that process if I’m made aware of the facts

• Upvote 2

Ps, 2 kilometres from my house I have a Morgan, ferrari and a aeroplane sitting in my hangar. I haven’t been there since the lockup started. 2 kilometres the other way I have a launch and yacht sitting in the marina, I haven’t seen them. I have not left the house other than 4 short walks along the beachfront here. 

what I have been doing non stop without a break so far is supporting my clients fearful of losing their businesses. Desperate, sometimes suicidal that this lockdown ends as soon as possible. Anyone that compromises that situation is a fair target

• Upvote 6

Youd be wrong again. You were allowed to choose to stay in your batch or boat, if you were there at the beginning of the lockdown. This is still the case.

I'm in the boat, since the beginning. I've spoken to the police, my neighbor is in the waterpolice. They have no issues with what we've chosen.

The same rules apply to us as to you at home. Minimal time outside of the boat, trips ashore local only, for food, medical or exercise. 2m gap, dont touch anything anyone else may have touched, wash hands. Only difference for us is we are allowed to change Anchorage for weather, if unsafe to remain where we are.