Boating now heavily restricted

2 hours ago, harrytom said:

Fish, How long ago did you let your licence lapse??? Depending on time frame its not just Med cert and a driving test,and your away rules have changed, What class did you have. I think more than 5yrs its a restart.

Oh, I'm up for the full monty. I let it lapse 9 years ago, but only had my learners permit in NZ anyway, for heavy trade and heavy trailer, or so it was called when I got it. What's it called now, class 1 & 2? Got that many moons ago when I was in charge of a jack hammer for a construction company, as a way out of hanging onto a jack hammer all day.

I've driven commercially in the UK, but only light trucks, food service and furniture lorry kind of stuff. Wasn't entirely clear if I was licenced to drive over there, but no one seemed to care. I only crashed once, or maybe twice. Depends on what CCTV footage you had access to ;-) 

I'm perfectly happy in that size truck, and would rate driving a 6 wheeler around a construction site higher than packing shelves as a virusmarket.

16 minutes ago, Knot Me... maybe said:

Where are the double standard lads gone? Where Kevin the raving hypocrite gone?

I do believe you are not allowed to recognise Asian peoples cultures or backgrounds here anymore....yet you can call them 'stupid' instead which is a bit personal attack I would have thought.

Come on people either enforce the site rules equally or you could look like raving hypocrites and potentially racist ones.

To the poster who wrote the bit I quoted (whose moniker I deleted intentionally), no one sane or rational thinks there is anything racist about that. The losers and woke will certainly have a problem with it though, but that's what happens when you have no life and all you have to spend your time doing is bitching about all those who do. But as I, and a few others, have been told the rules are the rules and considering the EXACT same term was pinged only yesterday...........

Thankyou for pointing that out, now edited. First, I wish to say I had NO COMPLAINTS/reports about this one. The other one you referenced I had 4 different members tag it for moderation as racist. So I edited it.  I reiterate that I don't read every post, and may well miss anything that is not reported.

This post (quoted above) is marginal, it is discussing moderation on the thread, which is specifically prohibited.  You may PM me or send me an email, or give me a call if you wish to discuss any moderation decisions. None of you are aware of what correspondence I get from other members, so are not fully informed.

I dont wish to spend my time moderating this site, and the only reason I have not awarded warning points for this is that I wished to point out that if people don't report stuff, it can and likely will be missed.

Please just stay withing the site rules, it makes it easier and more pleasant for all.

20 minutes ago, Knot Me... maybe said:

I do believe you are not allowed to recognise Asian peoples cultures or backgrounds here anymore....yet you can call them 'stupid' instead which is a bit personal attack I would have thought.

Come on people either enforce the site rules equally or you could look like raving hypocrites and potentially racist ones.

To the poster who wrote the bit I quoted (whose moniker I deleted intentionally), no one sane or rational thinks there is anything racist about that. The losers and woke will certainly have a problem with it though, but that's what happens when you have no life and all you have to spend your time doing is bitching about all those who do. But as I, and a few others, have been told the rules are the rules and considering the EXACT same term was pinged only yesterday...........

************** edit

By sort it I mean correct yesterdays shocker and leave todays alone. Both are accurate statements, neither are racist.

I have a fair dollop of continental Indian in me and my kids are 1/4 Maori so I’m no racist . I was just stating facts , Asians and Pacific Islanders go to great lengths for a taste of fish . risking their lives in the process . I could be equally factual and state that white males over 45 take silly risks on motorbikes and often die  , sometimes in the pursuit of fish and chips at a pub way out the back somewhere .

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, Fish said:

Oh, I'm up for the full monty. I let it lapse 9 years ago, but only had my learners permit in NZ anyway, for heavy trade and heavy trailer, or so it was called when I got it. What's it called now, class 1 & 2? Got that many moons ago when I was in charge of a jack hammer for a construction company, as a way out of hanging onto a jack hammer all day.

I've driven commercially in the UK, but only light trucks, food service and furniture lorry kind of stuff. Wasn't entirely clear if I was licenced to drive over there, but no one seemed to care. I only crashed once, or maybe twice. Depends on what CCTV footage you had access to ;-) 

I'm perfectly happy in that size truck, and would rate driving a 6 wheeler around a construction site higher than packing shelves as a virusmarket.

You will be have to a log book course,easy as,Med cert,then maybe get a class 2,4 wheeler,6 months maybe class 4 then if you want the full monty truck n trailer in 2 yrs but you can do a 3 day course I believe and get the whole lot in one hit $1600 there abouts.Been off work fully paid last 3 weeks,semi driver, quad 26 deck DAF 520 or 620r scania. money is there nowdays.

33 minutes ago, Knot Me... maybe said:

************** edit

By sort it I mean correct yesterdays shocker and leave todays alone. Both are accurate statements, neither are racist.

Can't say I read it, or am even aware of what has upset you this time, but, looks like it should be in smalltalk, doesn't it?

You know you can just report posts instead of having a big knicker twisting tanty and all. Its loads easier, keeps the flow of the thread intact and everything...

Agreed 44forty. Personally I have no issue with what you posted.  I usually don't change anything unless its blatant, or I get multiple complaints. Like most people, I try to be fair, but i have good and bad days, and sometimes posters piss me off. Some are like whack a mole, just keep popping up! And its interesting when I get reports about posts that directly contradict each other, occasionally even from the same user!  Its interesting who acknowledges anything they have done, accepts any warning points, and moves on, and those who think they are special!

• Upvote 1
20 minutes ago, Island Time said:

Agreed 44forty. Personally I have no issue with what you posted.  I usually don't change anything unless its blatant, or I get multiple complaints. Like most people, I try to be fair, but i have good and bad days, and sometimes posters piss me off. Some are like whack a mole, just keep popping up! And its interesting when I get reports about posts that directly contradict each other, occasionally even from the same user!  Its interesting who acknowledges anything they have done, accepts any warning points, and moves on, and those who think they are special!

Cheers mate 

Marinetalk is the only part of this forum that I visit but even this is going down to toilet.

I wish the shouters would take their spats back to Smalltalk where they belong.

The virulent nature of C19 in every sense is all the more reason to preserve some sanity in a refuges like Marinetalk.

I wish it could be vaccinated from the Covid-infected rambling posters who should self-isolate in Smalltalk or shout at themselves in their bathroom mirror.

I can sympathize with Aleana, and I acknowledge my own postings in this thread, related to marine, going boating or not, but drifted fairly quickly over to C19 aspects.

What has worked really well on Sailing Anarchy is a Covid 19 topic section. It cleared all the C19 stuff out of every other section, which was really insidious, was spreading like a virus. A C19 topic section would cover the marine related virus stuff, and all the economic and political threads as well.

meanwhile 

who wants to shoot something?

"Clearly hunting, for fairly obvious reasons, has some high risks attached to it.

But if it can be done safely that's what we're now assessing, and that will be finished as we come into early next week."

The Government has been lobbied to allow hunting by the New Zealand Deerstalkers' Association, which in a statement said hunting was relatively "safe" when compared to the number of injuries caused by mountain biking, which would be permitted. 

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/coronavirus/121087930/coronavirus-ban-on-hunting-under-covid19-alert-level-3-an-error-being-reconsidered

clearly we sailors are choosing to give up our rights to sail

by simply moaning to each-other and not firing a call to our local mp

Hard to argue about MNZ and coastguard.

Coastguard is mostly for off the beach launched or trailerable craft. Coastguards "statistics" are dubious at best - helping someone or answering a question over the phone is not a rescue. They actually tow in few vessels over about 30ft, and the vast majority of those are power vessels. They do help with medical events though. I object to their mentality of "we are the authority" They are not, and have no legal authority. An example of this is their add "when you need to be rescued" not IF. Many users of this site have considerably more martime experience than most of the coastguard crews or skippers.

Maritime NZ are the most disorganized organisation that I've ever dealt with. What you get told may or may not be accurate, depending on whom you speak with on what day. Everyone I know that has dealing with them says the same, but some wont admit it in public as it could effect their careers.

YNZ should be representing us, with an accurate reflection of the risks provided direct to Govt, as other sporting bodies are.

• Upvote 4

So what is sailing? 

What I think it is is probably different to what Mate thinks it is, which is different to knot me, to IT etc.

For some, sailing is 100 kids in dinghies accompanied by several dozen zodiacs. Or you could be talking about 'yachting' out of Westhaven, where you have a rugby team of crew all in very close personal space lined up on the rail or huffing and panting over a winch. Some people think yachting is wearing a blazer and gossiping over a bevvie at an 'established' yacht club bar.

It can also be sailing a boat possibly by yourself, or possibly with one or two people from your bubble.

So if you want to have an arguement about being able to go sailing, first define what it is you want to do. A 3 week cruise with your missus and you (long term bubble) is substantially different to sniffing the armpit of 14 others on the rail of a boat in a squadron race. Team sports of any sort are out, for very obvious reasons. I would argue solo sailing is the safest from a virus point of view, but solo sailing has a perception of being high risk, in terms of screw ups and needing outside assistance.

2 up cruising is low risk, I've no issue with that, but how do you communicate what is ok and what isn't? Given the speed the govt is trying to move at, and their issues with clear and unambiguous communication, how do you differentiate what type of sailing is permitted, without even getting confused trying to differentiate between boating (motorboating) and sailing...

Given what we are trying to acheive, I don't think not being able to go boating in May or June is going to be a big sacrifice.

The goal is to open up as much business as practical. Many of us need to get back to work. The goal is not to enable all types of recreation. That will follow.

• Upvote 1

Yes, forget sailing for a while, get back to earning some coin again, and enjoy your health. That will make the next sail/race/cruise/raft up, whenever that may be, feel AMAZING !

Oh, and what about Urban Cowboy for $99k ono. ?  Seems to be a good boat, at a fair price. I can't , however, see my wife falling in love with a Ross 40...

• Upvote 1
12 minutes ago, Elliot749 said:

Oh, and what about Urban Cowboy for $99k ono. ?  Seems to be a good boat, at a fair price. I can't , however, see my wife falling in love with a Ross 40...

Just a hole to throw money into, lots of money. Probably $20000 a year to keep running