Sailing NZ

Boating now heavily restricted

5 minutes ago, 44forty said:

Pilots would be a good fit for a modern grader they are pretty high tech . The pay is a little different I suspect 

They willn't be worried about flying with 300 passengers but will have the pressure of driving the grader around millions of red cones.😉

1 hour ago, darkside said:

To any laid off pilots I have a new grader in my yard if you want to have a crack.

Looking forward to the announcements of the successful "shovel ready" infrastructure projects.

Jokes aside, I am going to renew my heavy trade licence as soon as a testing station and the Dr's are open. Let it lapse some time ago, but feel having a plan B for employment is worth the minor cost and time of the licence testing process.

Yes I'm in private sector and am currently in 'consultation' about company wide pay cuts. i.e. its a foregone conclusion, but 95% of anyone will happilly bend over and take whats given just to keep a job and some income over the next 6-12 months, if not longer.

On the boating aspect, I can understand everyones frustration about not being able to get out on the water. But look at it with some perspective. Criticizing beuracrates is not helpful. What would you do if you were calling the shots? What would your objectives be? I'd say balance economy and impact of virus - going boating isn't central to either the economy, health or managing the virus...

If there is a need to stay tightly restricted for longer, i.e. at Level 4, that would not be economically sustainable even medium term (as in 4 - 8 weeks). Level 3 looks like a longer lock down, but let parts of the economy get going where practical. There is clear economic benefits to eradicating this virus and getting back to near normal quickly. If we keep on getting resurgent outbreaks over the next 12 to 24 months, the economy will suffer more, biggly. Yes it is hurting now, but there is a net benefit in taking our medicine hard and early. Half measures, like in the US, are a no-mans-land. Everyone looses, businesses / economy and social costs / deaths.

Ask yourself this, would you prefer to go sailing in May and June, or would you prefer to keep your job, be able to pay for your groceries, and not have the bank sell your house while you are living in it? There is a direct relationship between spread of the virus and the impact on the economy, whether by lockdowns, or just by everyone getting sick and not physically being able to work. I think not going sailing in May and June is a very minor sacrifice for some potentially big gain.

If we eradicate this thing, NZ will be the Switzerland of the South Pacific, a wealthy and desirable place to live. But it only takes 1 of you to not tow the line, and 400 of us will have it in one months time. Learn to understand exponential growth FFS.

A good mate is a pilot, 370 have been made redundant at air nz on a last on first off basis. Fortunately he is very senior but he was sweating with his 1.3m mortgage. I think this could go a few ways but we can be certain of a few things- international tourism and the student degree mills are over for quite some time years not months. There are so many business's that will be hurt but I think ultimately this will turn us inwards and hopefully start a rebuild of our own manufacturing and domestic tourism sector. 

Who knows maybe we will get an NZ boat building resurgence eventually, but given that another mate just said he was offered an '03 Bene 50 with all the cruising fruit for half asking in Europe i.e NZ 80k maybe not!  

35 minutes ago, Fish said:

Ask yourself this, would you prefer to go sailing in May and June, or would you prefer to keep your job, be able to pay for your groceries, and not have the bank sell your house while you are living in it? There is a direct relationship between spread of the virus and the impact on the economy, whether by lockdowns, or just by everyone getting sick and not physically being able to work. I think not going sailing in May and June is a very minor sacrifice for some potentially big gain.

If we eradicate this thing, NZ will be the Switzerland of the South Pacific, a wealthy and desirable place to live. But it only takes 1 of you to not tow the line, and 400 of us will have it in one months time. Learn to understand exponential growth FFS.

Well said. Some people need to see past the end of their own noses

Fish, How long ago did you let your licence lapse??? Depending on time frame its not just Med cert and a driving test,and your away rules have changed, What class did you have. I think more than 5yrs its a restart.

3 hours ago, Puff said:

I can't really comment about it in this forum topic but let's just say you're right. But a divisive depression. good, neutral, disastrous depending where you are and what you do. If you rely on international travel and high spending tourists then you're in big trouble. Domestic tourism will be okay. Your $100 night motel in the coromandel/Hawkes Bay will love it catering for people that don't want to get away but don't want to get on an aluminium tube with 200 others. Your $500 a night suite in Queenstown will tank along with Hobbiton, jet boat rides, heli skiing, film industry (sorry)

Plenty of building to get done with Kiwis coming home and people wanting to live here because it's safer. A drop in house prices and rents but that will recover in the cities and retirement destinations

The unknown is the unemployment figures and that will depend on how quickly the government can throw money into infrastructure. But a laid off pilot isn't going to be driving a grader in a hurry.

Farming is good, the world needs the stuff we grow, however expect some price pressure as there's aren't many buyers with cash

Domestic boating will be okay, the boats aren't going anywhere. They might only be worth half what they once were. But you can't say half the boats in NZ will be sold, they may be but unless they are sent to the tip or scuttled at the noises then they are still going to occupy marinas. New imports may suffer for a while

Yep film industry down 100%, for at least 3 months & probably 6. Island cruising anyone?

2 hours ago, harrytom said:

Fish, How long ago did you let your licence lapse??? Depending on time frame its not just Med cert and a driving test,and your away rules have changed, What class did you have. I think more than 5yrs its a restart.

Oh, I'm up for the full monty. I let it lapse 9 years ago, but only had my learners permit in NZ anyway, for heavy trade and heavy trailer, or so it was called when I got it. What's it called now, class 1 & 2? Got that many moons ago when I was in charge of a jack hammer for a construction company, as a way out of hanging onto a jack hammer all day.

I've driven commercially in the UK, but only light trucks, food service and furniture lorry kind of stuff. Wasn't entirely clear if I was licenced to drive over there, but no one seemed to care. I only crashed once, or maybe twice. Depends on what CCTV footage you had access to ;-) 

I'm perfectly happy in that size truck, and would rate driving a 6 wheeler around a construction site higher than packing shelves as a virusmarket.

1 hour ago, Tjr said:

I was a laid off pilot during the gfc and ended up driving a digger...

Welcome aboard Tjr.

Finances aside, which job did you enjoy the most?