Sailing NZ

Boating now heavily restricted

On 25/04/2020 at 1:28 PM, ScottiE said:

YNZ's focus has definitely changed so I'm not sure I entirely agree with you.  Traditionally you are correct but a quick look at the history of constitution shows that since about 2012 YNZ has begun to alter its focus from what's percieved as "just Olympic classes" or racing, to include recreational boating "advocacy" as described on their website.

wrt to recreational boaties we have these two which look like they came in when the constitution was redrafted 2012 - "To represent and promote the interests of its Members; TO advocate for free access to coastal and inland waters for yachting and boating;" 

Re-reading Dave A's comment on the 22nd, I think that I was wrong to include YNZ not lobbying, they at least tried to get our case across in some form.

Actually, I’d suggest the changes on the website and YNZ’s constitution were brought about by complaints from clubs rather than YNZ changing their ways. 

The club here has had various discussions with YNZ over charging non racing members (maybe 5/6ths of membership) a fee for over 20 years now. It was brought to their attention, I think at a YNZ agm, that the people they claim to represent - launches and cruisers, were not mentioned in YNZ’s constitution at all, any where, even once. 

Changing their website is fine, have they actually changed their behaviour? Examples?

I can’t see anywhere in DA’s speil where he has advocated to anyone on behalf of cruising boats. I only read ‘sport’ and racing related advocacy, mostly regarding dinghies. Not that I think we should necessarily be boating in level 3. I just think our national body should have a position on it. Maybe do what other governing bodies are and come up with procedures that would make boating safer at level 1 & 2 and provide those to Sport NZ, in the hope that gets boating the green light a soon as practical. I also think if they claim to advocate for a group of people, and charge them an annual fee to do so, then they should do it.

This is likely the absolute best opportunity they will have this decade to advocate on behalf of a somewhat disgruntled group of their membership, and prove they are at least trying to do something on their behalf to proved a path or some certainty to that part of boating, but they haven’t really lifted a finger. Have they?

The biggest rort is pay YNZ fees multiple times. Im at the point of telling my clubs that I will pay the fee through one membership only, if they dont want to go into bat for me as a member and kick me out then so be it.

I have done just this the last two years , refuse to pay YNZ fee through five yacht clubs and nominated one. This of course creates a great deal of hassle for  the smaller clubs and I doubt that they have pursued it just pretended that I paid . However it is a point of principle and as I age more I note that the most fun regattas and events are organised outside YNZ !

51 minutes ago, Tamure said:

The biggest rort is pay YNZ fees multiple times. Im at the point of telling my clubs that I will pay the fee through one membership only, if they dont want to go into bat for me as a member and kick me out then so be it.

Your club/s would be very very brave to do that. YNZ is not pleasant when it comes to money and they will disassociate your club very very fast. They have threatened to dissociated clubs for not sending in membership details in the format YNZ wants, that is what you're dealing will, petty people given too much power.

From what I see it is a very money focused operation. Fast to spend it on Olympics, equally as fast to plead poverty when it's something local, but then YNZ is there for high performance, not everyone.

11 hours ago, mattm said:

I just think our national body

YNZ's constituents are the Clubs. Yachties themselves have no real national body.

20 minutes ago, Knot Me... maybe said:

Your club/s would be very very brave to do that. YNZ is not pleasant when it comes to money and they will disassociate your club very very fast. They have threatened to dissociated clubs for not sending in membership details in the format YNZ wants, that is what you're dealing will, petty people given too much power.

From what I see it is a very money focused operation. Fast to spend it on Olympics, equally as fast to plead poverty when it's something local, but then YNZ is there for high performance, not everyone.

YNZ's constituents are the Clubs. Yachties themselves have no real national body.

when you see the header on their newsletters

"Dave's Desk"

it just sums up their arrogance. The worst thing is they are competing with their own members, notwithstanding the fact that Akarana had their (recently completed) expansion on the books for years, they have still tried to push through their own facility at Takapuna

I wonder how it would go over if offshore power boating NZ tried to charge launch owners a fee ? 

To train  kids in mini powerboat racing and run their organisation ? 

imagine if yacht owners had to pay too !

Discussing YNZ is hard as it is not an organisation like SPECTRE, Pussy Galores Flying Circus, NZ First or the NZ Avocado Growers Association, it is not bent on evil like those lot are. So any time something like this pops up there is a instant divide and quiet. I get bitched at for saying less than ideal things about YNZ which I do but does that mean I think YNZ needs to be shot, of course not far from it and I do support them in areas and quite happily. I am no different than most with the same applying to everyone else. I know a LOT who have issues with YNZ, mostly small things, but I know of none who want to see it gone. So any discussion needs to happen inside a context of 'this specific point or action is all we are chatting about here' and with eyes open to the fact you can make comments and criticise something without wanting it killed or disbanded. Also people go quiet as they are scared to be seen chatting for the very reason above, make one small less than glowing comment and the next thing is your are accused of wanting to throw a loaded Aussie in the front door. Again, no one I know of has ever mentioned wanting YNZ gone, never ever once ever, but most would like to see the odd change here n there, as expected and totally understandable.

So any discussion here must take place with that in mind or it is 100% pointless. It is just a discussion on quite specific aspects people would like improved or are less than happy about only, it's not a call for the extinguishing of YNZ.

YNZ has been changing the word 'yachting' to 'boating'. I do not know what authority or power they have to do that nor if they have any mandate over all boats or not. I do know they like to throw out the odd Govt Law to support themselves but I also know they break one or more of those very laws a lot. It would be good to actually know what, if any, real power YNZ has over anything or if what they use and claim is just assumed.

Also if it is a true national body for us yachties, or should that be boaters,  why do we get no say or vote in how it operates?

Generally I am supportive of YNZ, but recently its begun to nag me along the lines of "no taxation without representation" I wrote to them and complained. The reply came from reception with a boilerplate blathering answer which basically said "go jump"