Lazy Jacks... the good, the bad and the ugly

Had them on the cav 26,already fitted at purchase,useful?yes when single handed.same set up on spreaders and mast cleats,easily adjusted.,roll up head sail drop main,all tidy.ancher.no problem

4 hours ago, harrytom said:

Had them on the cav 26,already fitted at purchase,useful?yes when single handed.same set up on spreaders and mast cleats,easily adjusted.,roll up head sail drop main,all tidy.ancher.no problem

That's where I want to be.

Used to have a stacpac awesome system,used to get the end of the full length battens snagged when raising main,not a big issue.Also made it virtually impossible to use trisail which had it's own track on mast.Ended up putting in a deep third reef In mainsail.Fantastic system for single handed reefing just drop sail haul in out haul slip ring over hook haul up and done.

Well Rehab, sorry but I find some of your posts very difficult to follow, including the one above. 

I use a stack pack on island time, and slab reefing. Full Length battens make a stack pack easier. The only time they are a minor issue is on the hoist, but having slugs on the main means I usually go head to wind for hoist and drop anyway, to help reduce friction. I just have to watch the main on hoist so the end of the two lower battens does not catch. 

I do remove the stack pack if I'm doing a real race, but mostly not. For a cruiser over about 34 ft, I would not be without one.

Ok Matt got the email but seriously you have to let the conversation run regarding Rehab as we are apart from one all adults here.

I won’t be back providing a platform for toxic waste comes to mind but hey it’s your show.

For no particular reason, I was just re-appraising myself of the site rules. These ones caught my eye:

Note, I can't actually tell from Rehab's post if he likes to use lazy jacks, or doesn't like to use them. Just saying.

• Posts should be well formatted. Use paragraphs, punctuation, and capital letters appropriately. Excessive use of Netspeak/LOLspeak (internet slang) and texting shortcuts (b4, str8, etc) is not permitted. Posts with violations may be edited or deleted without notification.
  • The language of this forum is English. If you are not a native English speaker, do your best. We are glad to have you as a member and will be supportive and polite.
  • Trolling and cyberstalking are NOT allowed and are grounds for account restriction or banishment. Trolling on this board includes posting controversial and often irrelevant or off-topic messages with the intention of (or anticipated result of) baiting other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal, harmonious on-topic discussion, especially when a pattern of such posting is apparent.

My take home from rehab's last post is that lazy jacks might prevent dousing the main in a hurry if the wind pins the main against the lazy jacks. I agree. They are fine when you can point into the wind but we've probably all been there when we can't.

The personal attacks on  him I find disgusting, and not adult.

• Like 1

Hah Fish just tricking.

Crikey the worlds a strange place never more so than now.

Walking down the Crew.org editorial censorship memory lane I can remember many moons ago when Zoe wielded the hammer of exclusion when I outed the cowboy hat wearing Westhaven manger for covertly filming staff.

Zoe cited a conflict of interest with her landlord if remember correctly.

Again, if you see a particular post that breeches site rules, then report it. If I agree that it does, then the poster will be warned. 3 Warnings is a mandatory banning for 30 days, 3 repeats of that is a permanent revocation of posting rights.

I try to stay unbiased. Its interesting to see the positive and negative comments sent to me about moderation decisions, often opposite for the same decision. I could use another Moderator. Anyone keen?? Send me a PM. No controversial members will be considered!

Some here cannot seem to accept that others have opinions that contradict their own, and completely believe them, no matter how incorrect, outlandish, or insane they may seem to you or me.

There are 10 users now for the hidden political forum....

I have often sworn at my lazy jacks, usually when I have been too lazy to take them to the mast before hoisting the main.  My bad.  However as a solo sailor I would not be without them when dousing.  No great pile of sail on the deck to tidy up.  

• Like 1

I've got a 30 foot Easterly and no lazy jacks. When I douse the main solo I'm careful to flake it nicely on the boom as it comes down. I have a system of ties already attached to the bottom of the boom to wrap up the main quickly. I don't usually get sails on the deck.

• Like 1

Any how back to lazy jacks / stack packs 😀

Just got ours installed but haven't had much chance to test it out.

Who else runs lines forward when raising main? (I'm very happy with the quality of the work on this so far (Craft Covers)

20200516_130938.jpg

Don't know if you have starlings in your neck of the woods, but they "love" stack packs, of course as well as sail cover that allow them entry, a 25mm hole is enough for them to make themselves at home. I have eyelets that allow me to lace the ends up, saves looking at shitty sails all day.

6 minutes ago, Steve Pope said:

Don't know if you have starlings in your neck of the woods, but they "love" stack packs, of course as well as sail cover that allow them entry, a 25mm hole is enough for them to make themselves at home. I have eyelets that allow me to lace the ends up, saves looking at shitty sails all day.

Haven't encountered them yet (touch wood) but your not the first person to say that :-(

We pull our lines forward, and roll the stack pack up for racing.

After a while the lazy jack lines become so twisted that they don't auto adjust, so we can't pull them back into proper position.

Any tricks to stopping the lines from twisting up?