Sign in to follow this  
Fish

"I Relied on Official Advice..."

When there is a screw-up, how many times have we heard our leaders roll out the line "I relied on official advice..."

"That was the advice I was given..."

It is the go to line politicians use when they want to cover their arse and not be responsible for making a decision themselves. Decisions that normally have real world consequences for you and I. Well this time, that advice is having a real world, possibly life and death consequence for one of the leaders that usually hides behind that official advice.

The UK famously embarked on a strategy of 'herd immunity', i.e. letting everyone get sick in order to save the economy and reduce the cost of coronavirus...

Now the UK Prime Minister is in Intensive Care, and is really experiencing first hand the consequences of his decision making, and the cost of 'relying on official advice...'

"Over the course of this afternoon, the condition of the prime minister has worsened and, on the advice of his medical team, he has been moved to the Intensive Care Unit at the hospital," his office said in a statement.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/europe/120859782/uk-prime-minister-boris-johnson-in-icu

The idea of herd immunity and elderly people self-isolating for several months has been described as an experiment on a massive scale.

While New Zealand's borders close, the United Kingdom's approach to Covid-19 has scientists horrified.

A strategy of herd immunity, coupled with isolation for vulnerable people, has been touted by the UK's chief scientific advisor and the health minister. 

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/coronavirus/120326939/nz-scientists-horrified-at-herd-immunity-strategy

Survival of the fittest and other cruel logic

Donald Trump and Boris Johnson's response to coronavirus has revealed some disturbing attitudes towards segments of the population

https://www.newsroom.co.nz/ideasroom/2020/03/28/1103495/survival-of-the-fittest-and-other-cruel-logic

4 hours ago, Fish said:

When there is a screw-up, how many times have we heard our leaders roll out the line "I relied on official advice..."

"That was the advice I was given..."

It is the go to line politicians use when they want to cover their arse and not be responsible for making a decision themselves. Decisions that normally have real world consequences for you and I. Well this time, that advice is having a real world, possibly life and death consequence for one of the leaders that usually hides behind that official advice.

The UK famously embarked on a strategy of 'herd immunity', i.e. letting everyone get sick in order to save the economy and reduce the cost of coronavirus...

Now the UK Prime Minister is in Intensive Care, and is really experiencing first hand the consequences of his decision making, and the cost of 'relying on official advice...'

"Over the course of this afternoon, the condition of the prime minister has worsened and, on the advice of his medical team, he has been moved to the Intensive Care Unit at the hospital," his office said in a statement.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/europe/120859782/uk-prime-minister-boris-johnson-in-icu

The idea of herd immunity and elderly people self-isolating for several months has been described as an experiment on a massive scale.

While New Zealand's borders close, the United Kingdom's approach to Covid-19 has scientists horrified.

A strategy of herd immunity, coupled with isolation for vulnerable people, has been touted by the UK's chief scientific advisor and the health minister. 

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/coronavirus/120326939/nz-scientists-horrified-at-herd-immunity-strategy

Survival of the fittest and other cruel logic

Donald Trump and Boris Johnson's response to coronavirus has revealed some disturbing attitudes towards segments of the population

https://www.newsroom.co.nz/ideasroom/2020/03/28/1103495/survival-of-the-fittest-and-other-cruel-logic

Well Fish, now's your time to step and give them the Benefit of your experience and advise.....albeit retrospective.

What should they do to fix the damage they have obviously done?...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theconversation.com/amp/coronavirus-country-comparisons-are-pointless-unless-we-account-for-these-biases-in-testing-135464

Read this, by the university of london, to understand why the tests stats comparison between countries is so wrong.

Also it explains the point I and others, have made regarding certain people who keep banging on with comparison charts.

The people who wrote this are qualified and should not be doubted 

Read and learn 

9 minutes ago, Sailing NZ said:

Also it explains the point I and others, have made regarding certain people who keep banging on with comparison charts.

I don't normally read your posts, so I've no idea what point you've been attempting to make in some other thread.

My underlying point here is more about the power of karma, how the universe has an amazing ability to level things out. But to understand why I'm going down that path you'd probably need to understand the underlying political drivers for both the UK and US's C19 response. Its not particularly obvious in the media, even less so if you just get your news and opinions for MSN, or google or where ever you find it.

This extract from the above linked newsroom article sums it up fairly well. It basically says that poor and or unproductive people will suffer most from C19, so f*ck them, we'll worry more about generating wealth than caring for our society. And hay, if large proportions of these people die, it will probably swing the electoral balance in the favour of the Conseratives / Republicans as modelled by Boris and Donald. But having a vague idea of your tone and general political leaning, I'm guessing you wont understand what I'm getting at, or the point will be lost on you. Not to worry.

PS, the whole Newsroom article is worth a read, and if you don't buy it, even just to broaden your mind.

In the context of herd immunity:

As people attempt to explain to him that this will inevitably cost many lives, he replies that the cost in terms of collapsing markets is the greater concern. People try to veil the ugliness of this attitude by referring to the number of US citizens killed by cars every year, for example. People die, the argument goes, so why should we stop everything just to stop what happens anyway.

Beneath this, though, is a very disturbing attitude towards a significant segment of the population, summed up in this now-deleted tweet by a US attorney replying to Trump’s call to go back to work. "The fundamental problem", he wrote, "is whether we are going to tank the entire economy to save 2.5 percent of the population which is (1) generally expensive to maintain, and (2) not productive".