Anchor winch leak

I find that the one minute 35 seconds to tie my very tidy winch bonnet on, (and stuff my plasticine in if going off shore) no problem.

I like full and clear access to my winch ...definitely on deck with no sides, tops or lockers to foul ropes or trip on. I also have a rope capstan (along with chain gypsy) which I use for a number of different jobs. These jobs may have the "pull" from any direction. Be very careful with lose chain or rope solutions on deck. If you have to bugout in a hurry in deteriorating weather this can be very dangerous for a lot of reasons.. 

My chain runs into a locker , but l have chosen to have the drain go via a pipe to my middle bilge. (Through a collision bulkhead) I dont like exterior drains in this situation because they put water back into the locker in heavy weather..... but then I dont have any below water through hulls...

• Upvote 1

Post covid I will be definitely  moseying into your shop KM, with a couple cold ones and also that spare spade anchor you lent me over Xmas....so will check out the foam stuff with you then.

I'm sure you will also have a few lockdown lowdown stories to tell!

The hawser cap with a chain slot is .Iike most boat things a very old idea.  It can't work with most modern winches. The gypsy and entry port on them does not allow enough clear space. I have done them on big vessels  , but of course  they don't really need them...

If you get joy in building ..build.

If you want to sail ..keep it safe and simple and sail.