Halyard size

One thing you want to do is add as little friction as you can to the masthead halyard, especially from the fractional point to the top - thats often when the gennaker just about sets, with the foot in the water and you need the guys to get it that last metre as quick as you can - often the difference between a glamour set, or a nice trawl and a visit to the sailmakers. 
So the bungy might add just enough friction to cause issues

• Upvote 1

Okies, I've discovered there's a fractional halyard camcleat already so I've spliced a ring on the end of some 3mm uncovered dyneema then on to some covered  6mm dyneema for the bit that exits the mast and cleat.

Next job is some sexy genny sheets. What sizes do you recommend KM. Gennaker is 60sqm on a boat displacing 900kg including crew. Crew is a mix of old farts with accountant type hands and a couple of girls young and old. In other words, no gorillas immune to pain

53 minutes ago, Deep Purple said:

Okies, I've discovered there's a fractional halyard camcleat already so I've spliced a ring on the end of some 3mm uncovered dyneema then on to some covered  6mm dyneema for the bit that exits the mast and cleat.

Next job is some sexy genny sheets. What sizes do you recommend KM. Gennaker is 60sqm on a boat displacing 900kg including crew. Crew is a mix of old farts with accountant type hands and a couple of girls young and old. In other words, no gorillas immune to pain

Bugger it that’s light !  Our crew weight is 320kg ish so takes us a wee  bit over a ton 

11 minutes ago, 44forty said:

Bugger it that’s light !  Our crew weight is 320kg ish so takes us a wee  bit over a ton 

It’s only going to snubbing ring that captures the masthead halyard

3mm core was what the rope god suggested earlier in the thread

14 hours ago, Deep Purple said:

It’s only going to snubbing ring that captures the masthead halyard

3mm core was what the rope god suggested earlier in the thread

Sorry didn’t mean your halyard was light but your overall boat/crew weight 

12 minutes ago, 44forty said:

Sorry didn’t mean your halyard was light but your overall boat/crew weight 

According to Rob displacement is 886kg with 320kg crew and 20kg outboard, but up to 50kg above that. I know the bare hull and decks was 125kg. I'll know once I put it on the scales

I would highly recommend against a single endless gennaker sheet... 
If you have a cock up (which happens when going quick and rushing things) its very hard to unstitch it all. You want to be able to un-tie a single sheet while the other is loaded up.

the 18's can do it because tehy arent changing kites, and its rigged up on the beach and left rigged up - plus issues = swim immediately. whereas on our boat it means a spilt beer and a tidy up.
We think Smoke wagon is 700kg  (just checked and Steve T says 760kg as launched so might be lighter than that now we have done some lightening up and also put a carbon rig in).

I had an endless system in a sport boat for, I forget now, at least 5 years. Worked really well and never got in trouble with it once (the endless sheet bit anyway), and it ran big kites. Trick is having the right amount of sheet, enough it can flog when need be. I find it better, otherwise both sheets need enough to flog and it’s all over the cockpit floor all the time. New owner has changed it to separate, I find it’s a mess.  A nifty knot/splice to allow it to gybe around the forestay is handy, but it didn’t matter as much once we got blow through gybes sorted.