Liferaft + IridiumGo

Thinking about going to the islands in the next year or so. A 6 person Life raft and IridiumGo are two items that I am unlikely to use again, so looking to rent.

Is anyone who has these interested in renting them, and if so what would the price be per month?

Just looking to get an idea of costs. 

If raft isn't current inspection, we would arrange that OFC, and for the Go would also use our own sim.

Thanks.

I hate to be contrary, but  I doubt you'll need a raft and iridium Go heading out to Gt Barrier. I assume when you say heading to the 'islands' thats what you mean, as that'll be the only islands you'll be able to sail to for a while.

On a slightly more helpful level, I've got an ood 6 man valaise. Service is at least 3/4's the cost of a new one, and a service only lasts a year. A new one the initial service lasts for 3 years. The servicing thing is a major rort. There is a thread next door on how rubbish the gear is in a $1,400 serviced life raft.

My understanding is that most people get a new raft with a 3 year service, use it for one lap of the islands (the pacific ones, not the BoI) then sell it second hand. Value is based on how many years left until next service.So your best chance may be keeping a watch on TM and grabbing a second hand one with enough service left for your trip.

10 hours ago, Fish said:

The servicing thing is a major rort.

I have a mate who works in the commercial marine industry servicing large ferries , globe trotting trawlers etc . He told me to give him a raft at service time and he could get it done for $650 ....in Auckland .

Seems like a Rort alright for the recreational sector . I’m glad that race committees are rethinking the raft requirement for short coastal races 

• Upvote 1

Ref the Iridium GO, you really need to install the fixed aerial, cable and mount, this is US$425 (or a few dollars less if you cobble together the equivalent pieces from Amazon)

https://www.satphonestore.com/tech-browsing/iridium-nav/iridium-go/accessories/satstation-marine-package-for-iridium-go.html

compared with a "Marine Package" (GO and the aerial set) for US$999, same price whether you buy from Predictwind or the likes of Satphonestore, all prices +gst. 

https://www.predictwind.com/iridium-go/

Used GO's on EBAY are around US$400. Given the GO's are a bit fragile (the failure rate on the rally last year was around 20%) so warranty is important if you cannot borrow one you would be best to buy the full kit and resell  after. Of course you can also look out for some used packages coming off other boats. The aerial cable is a pain to install but it is a DIY project once you have the location for the aerial sorted. 

Keep a watch out for a I Go on trademe, mate picked one up for under $500 from a Offshore cruiser that needed cash for repairs in a hurry.

as for the raft a few of us have looked at it and if your going to do more than one trip is best to buy new, not much more than one service 

however if it’s a one off trip then look for a second hand one thats still in service with at least a year to go, then don’t pay any more than half the service cost ($800ish)

I paid NZD1000 on trade me complete with the fixed aerial.

Only used it a few times at the Barrier to test it and then for a month in Alaska.

Never used the fixed aerial, the unit always worked fine without it.

Just a personal bitch about the "US$999" package from PredictWind.  You have to pay freight US$40 even if you live in Auckland.  GST on top of everything.  A pet hate is hidden charges that you only see when you go ahead and purchase.  You have to pay the US$40 charge, so the price is not 999, it is 1039 plus GST.

And before anyone asks, yes I did complain to PredictWind, basically no interest in showing this up front.  Not a great way to start a possibly long-term relationship.😢

4 hours ago, 44forty said:

I have a mate who works in the commercial marine industry servicing large ferries , globe trotting trawlers etc . He told me to give him a raft at service time and he could get it done for $650 ....in Auckland .

Seems like a Rort alright for the recreational sector . I’m glad that race committees are rethinking the raft requirement for short coastal races 

Good to know; about the rort on life rafts.

IridiumGo Marine - Ebay - $1600NZD