Auto tiller pilot onto auxiliary rudder trim tab

Hi there,

I have an auxiliary rudder trim tab wind vane set up on a cav 32

I am wandering if anyone has direct experience on getting the auto tiller unit attached to the auxiliary rudder trim tab. I have a tp32 .

The aim would be to be able to use the tiller pilot in more demanding condition as it would normally be feasible if attached to the main tiller.

this would also mean the auxiliary rudder would always be mounted at the back. ( at the moment it is sitting in the shed...)

thank you in advance for your thoughts.

cheers

There are some boats that do this. However, on a cav32, I'd expect a TP32 to steer on the main tiller in virtually any conditions. From a life expectancy point of view though, the loads on the TP are a lot less on the trim tab......

Heaps more power than you need for working a trim tab. But as they say use what you have got. The TP32 can suffer from water getting into where you don't want it. A cover with a clear over the control buttons solves that & a collar around the shaft that can be tightened enough with a draw string to semi water proof it. 

If I remember correctly you will have to set it up so the tab turns the correct way, which is the opposite to using it directly to the tiller.

Thank you for your replyes guys!

The idea was to try preserve the tp32 by not making it work as hard.

Also save battery.

Finally to be able to use in any conditions.

I wander if in that position is going to get wetter then ideal...???

I guess only time will tell. Cheers

The most common failure by far on longer passages, is movement in the tiller pin ruining the plastic end fitting. Make certain you push the pilot into the tiller pin firmly, right home.

Hey guys,

I just thought about the auto tillel being connected to the trim tab. The set up doues not allow for the auto tiller to be mounted square to the boat axis. Does this matter at all? 

Or as i press the auto botton it then does what it needs to do to steer the course?

I immagine i should trick the auto tiller by setting it as if it was installed say starbord rather then port. This way it would deal with trim tab????  Does it make sense???

Thank you for any suggestion

Cheers

The tiller pilot can be mounted fore and aft pushing a tiller mounted at right angles to normal. You just may need to change the auto pilots port or starboard setting to suit. Pilot wouldn’t want to be mounted on a moving surface like a rudder though. 

But if you want to make it steer a known compass course, the internal compass will be confused. An external compass (precision 9) would fix that and give much better steering as well....

I have never worried about what the auto pilot compass is saying as it only indicates where the boat is pointing not where its going. I just use my track numbers on the gps and when that is the same as the course I want then push auto or use the plus and minus buttons to adjust. The thing I like about tiller pilots is the fact that all the bits are in one place and if it doesn’t work you can swap the whole unit with a spare easily. It helps that they are relatively cheap. The pelagic units look pretty solid. 

Yep, if you just want to hit a button an hold that course, no issue.

If you want to steer to a waypoint, or other advanced steering facilities, then it may be an issue. Things like wind angle steering, and course accuracy are hugely improved with an external compass