Turning off AIS

I noticed yesterday that there are a lot of boats that leave there AIS on when they are in the marina - there are even 2 boats up on the hard at GH with AIS on.  I'm not aware of rules or guidance on whether this is desirable or not?  

There is no requirement I'm aware of. Some leave them on always, some not. For basic class B units in busy places,  I think it's good to switch off so you dont unnecessarily contest the frequencies. 

I can understand some people may like to see their boat is still where it should be and afloat when not onboard. Ashore? turn it off surely? Class B units will be bumped out of the available transmission time-slots in busy areas with Class A having preference, so the system takes care of this overloading itself. However this would mean other Class B units, that were at sea, may also get pushed out of a timeslot because someone has left an AIS on while the boat is safely moored. Not a problem in NZ i expect (yet) but some places it could mean you onlt pop up on other vessels AIS at quite long time periods. Luckily everyone at sea is super considerate of others...........

lovely day to go boating down in Christchurch if only we could.

funny topic... I only recently installed class B and it is still on while the boat is in the berth. It shouldn't be -  but I can't get to the boat to turn it off. Haven't installed a 'stealth switch yet'.  kinda ridiculous... as it appears to be updating very regularly.

I leave mine on sometimes as the boat lives on a mooring and its nice to be able to see it still there!

I've recently added a Trek Boat monitoring system that will text me if the boat leaves it mooring, so no longer doing that but thinking I might wire up the Trek to turn on the AIS, so that if it does break the mooring, I can turn it on and make it easier for the Harbour master to find her.

Its been awesome during the Lockdown to be able to check the boat position, battery voltages, know the bilges are dry, etc.

https://www.trektransponder.com.au/

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, Island Time said:

You can use the AIS for that for free. Use marine traffic, and put the AIS in the "my fleet " section, it will email you if it leaves/returns to harbour. 

I live an hour from boat so leave AIS on plus have email alert setup as above so I know it’s where it should be plus if the boat disappears on marine traffic I know the batteries have possibly  gone flat, I leave the fridges on and the breaker tripped (another story) on the shore power. I now have solar so not such an issue but it’s an easy way of checking from a far.