So can I visit my boat at marina under Code 3? It appears not....

I was watching an interview on TV and they had a question answer kind of thing with the Person being interviewed. I cannot remember who it was they were interviewing. It was either JA herself or perhaps it was the head of Police. I have been watching far to much and it is all blurring together now. All the things i listed were a No and the reason given where as I said. They even stated that this is why Hunters can go onto Private land (if they can find a Farmer that will let them) but not Doc land. Because if something went wrong, S&R would be involved, and they do not want that. That does not mean S&R are not ready and willing to go if needed.
It shows that there is a severe lack, plus confusion in communication between Gvt and authorities.

What I am about to say may appear counter to my previous arguements on the topic, but:

Where there is a grey area or confusion, I think it is appropriate to apply your own logic, carry out a personal risk assessment, and proceed with something based on your own judgement.

Example: Getting to the boat on the mooring - you can row, or take the 2 hp outboard. One is motorised and therefore none complaint, but reduces the risk of what is otherwise a permitted activity. What is the best one to do?

The caveats over this is it needs to comply with the spirit or the intention of the rules (not necessarily the strict letter of the rules), it needs to have a compelling arguement to support it (not just cause I felt like it) and it needs to not encourage others not to break rules by copying. Anything that is highly visible on the water would encourage others to copy. Taking a jet ski out to check a moored boat, obviously no. Taking a dinghy with oars and a very small outboard, I think that is acceptable. Linking this all back to the boating restrictions thread, any visible boating like sailing a keel yacht, a lot of people are going to see that, and given this weather, it would be the thin end of the wedge kind of issue, where every man and his dog would then want to be out, and the number of people requiring assistance would then rise, based on the laws of probability.

Where people have been causing problems has been blatant and or repeat offending of lock down rules. Car racing on empty motorways Repeated trips to places outside of your area, i.e. driving from the city out to the west coast surf beaches. Having rowdy house parties which clearly burst bubbles etc.

The govt needs to set restrictive rules to achieve pragmatic outcomes, A) because they can't communicate adequately all the grey areas, and B.) cause a proportion of people are going to take the piss and see what they can get away with. i.e. "take the motorbike for a high speed blat around the Auckland motorways, and didn't get stopped by the police, so it must have been ok" kind of attitude. In the context of getting to the mooring and using a 2 hp outboard, some would argue 2 hp is so small it barely counts as motorised. In comparision to taking a ski boat out and wakeboarding, or jetski-ing around at 30 knts doing donuts but staying within the 200m from shore, the 2 hp isn't a major issue. Its going to go as fast as rowing, but avoid the risk of a heart attack if you aren't used to rowing to your mooring... Jet ski-ing within 200m of shore you could try and argue breaches less of the rules (near shore, but motorised) but clearly is far higher risk. I beleive the govt wants to avoid loads of clowns on jetski's, but arn't going to really care how you get to your mooring, providing it is the least risk option.

And given the conflicting rules guys have found and posted here, I think some pragmatic personal risk assessing is warranted, esp if your intention is to carry out activities that do comply with the intention of the rule.

• Upvote 1
45 minutes ago, Island Time said:

Level 3 is pretty much going to be a faith thing. Too many people out to stop everyone. So dont be a dick, or blatantly breach the rules, use  common sense, and you'll be fine.

What he said, 

I am, will go check lines, run engine, genset, watermaker and check bilges etc.

I may also remove the 12volt motor from watermaker as bearing needs replacing in centrifugal clutch so can bring that home and replace

plus a few other maintenance jobs I was going to do last month

And if need be I’ll stay overnight so I don’t need to do two trips to get them done.

If i could swallow my humility briefly and offer some advice from a long time sneakaboard.

If you are going to do something outside the rules or shock horror outside the law, then do it quietly.  Try to stay below officialdom s radar. Do whatever it is, don't disturb other people, don't make mess  and don't make a lot of noise.

And don't telegraph your intentions on a public forum. 

By doing this your chances of success increase and you lower the probability that said officialdom will make life difficult for your friends in future. 

Hope that helps  

Now i shall quietly slip back into anonymity. 

• Upvote 1
24 minutes ago, Black Panther said:

And don't telegraph your intentions on a public forum. 

😂

It’s hilarious how many people do this kind of thing!

😎😏

I didn’t say when this week or next and all locked up you wouldn’t  know anyone was aboard plus is it safer to drive an hour each way twice than stay by myself onboard one night ?

or an I just flying a decoy

like the rowing verse outboard out to check boat on mooring 

23 minutes ago, Jon said:

Sounds more like duck shooting to me.

But obviously needs someone to think he's staying on the boat...

59 minutes ago, Jon said:

😎😏

I didn’t say when this week or next and all locked up you wouldn’t  know anyone was aboard plus is it safer to drive an hour each way twice than stay by myself onboard one night ?

There may lie your problem hr drive each way,Which may suggest you might going from one suburb to another??

But I wouldnt worry too much looking at the amount of cars on the southern motorway in fact cars in general.Went to Tauranga and back(work) and the police were at the Thames sh2 roundabout today.obviously some come to AK for a weekend and Mr plod and friend were issuing tickets I presume as pads in hand.

1 minute ago, chariot said:

I would think there are more going from Auckland to the Coromandel than the other way around. A lot of batch owners have been coming down for the weekends

The guy that monitors all the alarms in Whitianga said that 40 alarms were turned off over Easter. Thats just the ones that have alarms in this town

1 hour ago, Jon said:

Or maybe I just want to break out of the health system 

Why would you want to do that? 

Anyone would think you've been stuck at home with nothing to do for a month of Sundays, or something.

17 minutes ago, Knot Me... maybe said:

a 'boxing training centre' (the word Gym has been over written by some cheeky sod :) ) full of yummy mummies packed in spray on Lycra,

Any chance you could let us know where this place is, I could do with a descent work out...

My gym is closed n' all.

1 hour ago, Fish said:

Why would you want to do that? 

Anyone would think you've been stuck at home with nothing to do for a month of Sundays, or something.

Chemo

I’ve got enough paperwork to confuse any plod, I’ve been stopped twice now and as soon as your say your heading to or from cancer treatment they just waive you on.

• Upvote 1